What was it like for you growing up at home?

A fascinating childhood diet indeed. But - what do you really dislike about miso? I find it has loads of umami and if used in small amounts is a great addition to stews, sauces etc. If I taste it 'neat' I'm not so keen though.

I think I had too much of it, can't really explain why I don't like it. It's just something I never liked, last year I tried a bowl of miso soup and while I can eat it to be polite I don't think I'll ever enjoy it.

I think I had too much of it, can't really explain why I don't like it. It's just something I never liked, last year I tried a bowl of miso soup and while I can eat it to be polite I don't think I'll ever enjoy it.

Understood! There is something of a fruity almost metallic tang to it which I'm not keen on. But if added in small amounts with other ingredients to a sauce or stew its OK.

Definitely having too much of some tastes can be 'cloying' - I have the same thing with smoked paprika and smoked chorizo which became very popular a few decades ago and got added to all sorts of things. Now, I'm not at all keen and find it simply swamps the taste of everything else.

My dad was an "early adopter" as they say in marketing circles. He's 86 years old now, and has an iMac, a MacBook Pro, the latest iPhone (which is linked to his car via Bluetooth), and my mom reads books voraciously on her iPad. They also have a 72-inch flat screen TV. :ohmy:

Over the years, I believe we had the first house on our street with central air-conditioning, a dishwasher, color TV, and a microwave oven. My dad's 1978 Chevy had a car phone! (that was a company car)

As for food, my mom was not a good cook. She had a few things she did well, but they were from detailed recipes. Otherwise, everything was overcooked by about 300 percent. My dad could turn filet mignon into shoe leather on the grill like a champ. They actually cook a lot better now, with a lot of guidance from me. I taught my dad how to grill, and even cook sous vide.

CD

Growing up at home... I'll add more later, but right now I want to be thankful my parents encouraged me to try all sorts of food, and that both parents cooked. Mom went more traditional, Dad went exploratory. We moved from Louisville KY to New York City when I was 2 years old, and Dad never looked behind on his decision to abandon overcooked veggies, grits or oatmeal. He never cared for those. (I actually like some dishes made from the latter two items). He delved into (Arthur Avenue - Italian, and into Chinatown, and so forth) like someone un-satiated elsewise. He'd come home with a variety of varietal foods. Meats AND vegetables.

The principle was: Try everything at least once. You cannot judge without that first try. I do agree with this principle of theirs.

I grew up with foods that have always seemed natural to me. Some I liked (a lot), a few I never did (or, probably, will), and some I grew to grow up into liking on later in life.

I seriously appreciate my family for this approach. We had great meals, traditional or exploratory, but (almost always) wonderful. Yeah, I did not know I was supposed to cringe when served beef tongue or beef heart, even as a kid. It was food, and I enjoyed it - as I still do - for what is is. As in... great food I want MORE of.

My dad was an "early adopter" as they say in marketing circles. He's 86 years old now, and has an iMac, a MacBook Pro, the latest iPhone (which is linked to his car via Bluetooth), and my mom reads books voraciously on her iPad. They also have a 72-inch flat screen TV. :ohmy:

Over the years, I believe we had the first house on our street with central air-conditioning, a dishwasher, color TV, and a microwave oven. My dad's 1978 Chevy had a car phone! (that was a company car)

As for food, my mom was not a good cook. She had a few things she did well, but they were from detailed recipes. Otherwise, everything was overcooked by about 300 percent. My dad could turn filet mignon into shoe leather on the grill like a champ. They actually cook a lot better now, with a lot of guidance from me. I taught my dad how to grill, and even cook sous vide.

CD

I was talking to a friend I've known for 10 years, but not really known, last week. We were talking about parents, he said his dad turned 91, and he's very active in his community. He lives in charteris bay, pop 200? My friend said his dad was in the bay music group, cards group, and a cap group. Not one of the music group can play a note, they don't play cards but they get together wearing silly hats. I was impressed with his dad.

Russ

Growing up at home... I'll add more later, but right now I want to be thankful my parents encouraged me to try all sorts of food, and that both parents cooked. Mom went more traditional, Dad went exploratory. We moved from Louisville KY to New York City when I was 2 years old, and Dad never looked behind on his decision to abandon overcooked veggies, grits or oatmeal. He never cared for those. (I actually like some dishes made from the latter two items). He delved into (Arthur Avenue - Italian, and into Chinatown, and so forth) like someone un-satiated elsewise. He'd come home with a variety of varietal foods. Meats AND vegetables.

The principle was: Try everything at least once. You cannot judge without that first try. I do agree with this principle of theirs.

I grew up with foods that have always seemed natural to me. Some I liked (a lot), a few I never did (or, probably, will), and some I grew to grow up into liking on later in life.

I seriously appreciate my family for this approach. We had great meals, traditional or exploratory, but (almost always) wonderful. Yeah, I did not know I was supposed to cringe when served beef tongue or beef heart, even as a kid. It was food, and I enjoyed it - as I still do - for what is is. As in... great food I want MORE of.

I was raised the same, we had cheap meals, offal a lot, brawn ( pigs head meat in aspic) I still love cheap meats.

Russ

I was raised the same, we had cheap meals, offal a lot, brawn ( pigs head meat in aspic) I still love cheap meats.

Russ

We did have a lot of offal at home - both mom and dad cooked this. Mom drew the line at having the lamb's head Dad brought home one Friday night - but he and I (and probably my brother) tucked right in. But otherwise, tongue, sweetbreads, beef heart, tripe (which they made in a marinara sauce, Italian style), were frequent encounters at dinner time. Also liver, which back then I didn't appreciate so much.

He was also a hunter, and came home with venison. Once with rattlesnake (yes, tastes like chicken).

Occasionally frog legs (probably from Chinatown), just about anything. We ate a lot of the cheap meats, with expensive cuts reserved for special occasions. I think one year asked for sweetbreads for my birthday dinner. It was later in my teen years - those trips through Pennsylvania Dutch country - that Dad was able to source his souse or head cheese - mother passed on that, too, but I loved it.

And not to slight the vegetable world, we all loved okra, which we served every way but battered and deep fried. (I tried that at a chain restaurant one year driving in the south - it was chopped to smithereens and battered so it was all breading and barely any okra... I ended up peeling off the breading because I couldn't stand it, and didn't want to order something else.) I was also a beet fan from early childhood, which set me off from others.

We did have a lot of offal at home - both mom and dad cooked this. Mom drew the line at having the lamb's head Dad brought home one Friday night - but he and I (and probably my brother) tucked right in. But otherwise, tongue, sweetbreads, beef heart, tripe (which they made in a marinara sauce, Italian style), were frequent encounters at dinner time. Also liver, which back then I didn't appreciate so much.

He was also a hunter, and came home with venison. Once with rattlesnake (yes, tastes like chicken).

Occasionally frog legs (probably from Chinatown), just about anything. We ate a lot of the cheap meats, with expensive cuts reserved for special occasions. I think one year asked for sweetbreads for my birthday dinner. It was later in my teen years - those trips through Pennsylvania Dutch country - that Dad was able to source his souse or head cheese - mother passed on that, too, but I loved it.

And not to slight the vegetable world, we all loved okra, which we served every way but battered and deep fried. (I tried that at a chain restaurant one year driving in the south - it was chopped to smithereens and battered so it was all breading and barely any okra... I ended up peeling off the breading because I couldn't stand it, and didn't want to order something else.) I was also a beet fan from early childhood, which set me off from others.

I'm pretty much the same as you, my nana used to do the pigs head thing, my mum drew the line there,lol. TRIPE is my krypton, absolutely detest it. I too love beets. Love a Beetroot and onion sammich.

Russ

I'm pretty much the same as you, my nana used to do the pigs head thing, my mum drew the line there,lol. TRIPE is my krypton, absolutely detest it. I too love beets. Love a Beetroot and onion sammich.

Russ
I don't know what tripe is, but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't like it.

Back
Top Bottom