What was it like for you growing up at home?

A twin tub washing machine
Washing up by hand
Rolling pin
Wooden board
Rayburn oven
Paring knives
Mangle
Baby Burco
Upright hoover with the white light at the bottom which scared the bejesus out of me as I thought it was going to get me
Television

No dishwasher
No microwave oven
No VHS player

My mother had one - Lord knows where she got it from, and I was about 7 or so. :)
They were quite effective really - easier than trying to wring out stuff by hand - but if you got your fingers trapped as I did once or twice whilst feeding the clothes through... :cry:
I knowwwwwwwwwww...........! :cry::cry::cry:

A twin tub washing machine.....Upright hoover
One of my sisters got a twin tub washing machine not long after she got married in 1958 - what a luxury! It must have been about 1960 when Mum got her first vacuum cleaner - an Electrolux cylinder one complete with dog grooming attachments and a paint sprayer as well as all the usual accessories. I inherited that and a paraffin heater, and some family friends gave me their old gas copper and spin dryer, when I moved from south Germany to Brixton. They moved with me to Battersea but when I moved into a flat near my parents the paraffin heater was left behind because they were not allowed in high rise flats. The gas copper and the spin dryer were sold when I got my first washing machine in 1973 or thereabouts.

I remember when I was about 11 or 12 a neighbour got rushed to hospital, he got his arm caught up to his shoulder. Lord knows how he did it? He was my age as well. His arm was badly scarred.

Russ

I remember when I was about 11 or 12 a neighbour got rushed to hospital, he got his arm caught up to his shoulder. Lord knows how he did it? He was my age as well. His arm was badly scarred.

Russ
Yowwwwllllllll....! :eek::eek::eek:

The house we moved to when I was seven had an outside toilet, though we had an indoor one as well. We also had a coal bunker.

You just reminded me, we too had a coal box, I think my grandfather made it?? It was divided in two, one for slow coal and the other for fast coal. From memory mum used to mix them. The. Home I'm in at present had a fire place. We removed it when building upstairs about 25 years ago.

Russ

The house we moved to when I was seven had an outside toilet, though we had an indoor one as well. We also had a coal bunker.

And my nanas place had an outside toilet. I hated it. I used to stay there some weekends. We had pots under the bed. I was only about 8 or 9, then they had an inside one put in. I'm not old btw but my grandparents on my mum side didn't have a lot.

Russ

several houses I have lived in as a child only had outside toilets and also had coal bunkers. my favourite house growing up the coal bunker was the door next to the outside toilet. The 2 'rooms' were identical in all aspects except for contents... long thin and only a door's width. At my grandmothers (ex-step father's side), the coal bunker was in the garage and literally was a bunker. You could climb into it unless the coal had just been delivered. But if there wasn't enough space for all of the coal to fit into the bunker, it would overflow and surround the bunker hiding it from view until it was used up.... needless to say no car ever lived in the bunker (grandmother didn't have one mind you) and growing up my mother didn't have one either. It was only as a teenager that a car became an item in the 'home' and the idea of a second car.... that didn't happen for a very long time. Now we have 2 cars, but only in the last 12 months. Until then if my hubby went to work, well I was on my bike literally!

Our first home in Australia only had the toilet brought inside back in 1999! Until then it was an outside trip to the dunny!

In New York we had a dumbwaiter in the kitchen. No trash disposals. Every night at 6 pm, a bell would ring, and you put the trash inside the door.

My first place had:
A milk door in the kitchen. My neighbor used his as a cat door.
Telephone niche/nook in the hallway
Wireless long metal door chimes
Pull out wall ironing board in the kitchen

My mother had a portable washing machine. You roll it up to the kitchen sink, and attach the hose to the kitchen faucet.

I have a childhood memory of getting my thumb caught in the wringer when mom was washing clothes. Pain and tears!! Mom had a Hamilton Beach stand mixer that worked very well. We also had a hand mixer that we cranked. I still have it...in a box! Eventually a crock pot arrived at our house as well as an automatic Maytag washer with suds saver tub and dryer. Years later a dishwasher was added to the appliance list.
We made a lot of Chef Boyardee pizza that contained the little can of sauce in the box. I remember Fizzees. There was nothing like a Fizzee on a hot afternoon. That buzz on the tongue just topped it off. And ice cream! Going to the freezer on a summer afternoon and dipping up a cone full of ice cream was splendid. I'd often carry a heaping cone to each of the men bailing and stacking hay in the field. Homemade ice cream was a winter specialty because we used snow for freezing it. Many meals were roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, a sweet salad and vegetable. Mom made Belly Busters with bread dough, brown sugar and sour cream. We also had lots of navy beans with ham. Boiled dinner was a cabbage and ham type of soup. Oxtail soup was also served now and again. We had specialty beef meats:smoked tongue, heart, sweet breads, beef cheeks and liver.

Back
Top Bottom