What was the first thing you learnt to cook

^^^ Eggs are one thing I like so much, I'll even eat them if they're cooked "wrong."

Hard-cooked scrambled eggs? Put them on sandwich bread with a lot of mayo and pepper - one of my all-time favorites.

Really loose/wet scrambled eggs? That's what toast is for!

Sunny side up with the white still translucent? Sure, just stir it into my fried potatoes.

Hard-boiled with the yolk turning green from overcooking? Salt, pepper, and that's a great snack.

I laugh every time I hear my mom try to order a fried egg in a diner:

"Now, I'd like one egg, just cook it slow, both sides, in some bacon grease, and I want the white cooked all the way through, but the yolk a little runny...cooked on the outside, but a little runny in the middle, and a little salt and pepper, and I don't want any of the edge fried crunchy, so make sure they turn that griddle down back there..."

We were out once and my mom was doing that, complete with hand motions, and the waitress stopped writing, looked at my mom with a "you've got to be kidding me" face, then turned to my dad and said, "That's what I call a high-maintenance woman!"

We both fell apart laughing, but my mom was not amused. :lol:

I reckon it is quite difficult - I've eaten some perfectly dreadful scrambled eggs. Achieving the perfect light soft creamy curds is quite an art.

It is a fine line to get them smooth and silky, I take mine off the heat just before finishing. Wife says they are very good.!!

Russ

Eggs are one thing I like so much, I'll even eat them if they're cooked "wrong."

Well I sort of agree - and if I accidentally overcook and egg intended to be soft-boiled, scrambled or whatever then I wouldn't throw it away. I'd do as you suggest and use it in a sandwich or something. But its a question of fitness for purpose and if I'm going to eat egg and chips (fries) then I want that yolk to be lovely and runny so I can dunk the chips in it. So if I overcooked it I'd save it for later and cook another to go with the chips.

Day before yesterday we went out to a pizza restaurant and I ordered a Fiorentina which has an egg on top. I specifically told the waitress that the egg had to be runny or I would send it back. Guess what? Well yes... I had to send it back. The chef cooked another pizza and hovered behind the 'food hatch', looking to see if he'd done it correctly (which he had) - so I gave him a big thumbs up.

"Now, I'd like one egg, just cook it slow, both sides, in some bacon grease, and I want the white cooked all the way through, but the yolk a little runny...cooked on the outside, but a little runny in the middle, and a little salt and pepper, and I don't want any of the edge fried crunchy, so make sure they turn that griddle down back there..."

We were out once and my mom was doing that, complete with hand motions, and the waitress stopped writing, looked at my mom with a "you've got to be kidding me" face, then turned to my dad and said, "That's what I call a high-maintenance woman!"

:laugh: I think I'm a bit like your Mum.

@Windigo - skillet-fried potatoes are a big deal in my family. Everything can be just right at a restaurant, but if the fried potatoes are off, that restaurant has lost our business.

I usually start mine over med-hi heat to get a little color on them (in a cast iron skillet) then set a rack over the skillet, put bacon on the rack and chuck the whole thing in the oven, letting the bacon drippings flavor the potatoes along the way. YUM!

@Windigo - skillet-fried potatoes are a big deal in my family. Everything can be just right at a restaurant, but if the fried potatoes are off, that restaurant has lost our business.

I usually start mine over med-hi heat to get a little color on them (in a cast iron skillet) then set a rack over the skillet, put bacon on the rack and chuck the whole thing in the oven, letting the bacon drippings flavor the potatoes along the way. YUM!

Yes, same for me!

If they can't make them better than I do, they're not worth my money. I use duck fat or goose fat on mine when I can.

Back
Top Bottom