What was your worst experience with a restaurant

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
7:20 PM
Yesterday we went out with my family for a celebratory meal. The table was booked, we all arrived and waited and waited for someone to take our order. My brother-in-law approached someone at the bar to ask if anyone was actually taking food orders. Someone eventually arrived and after ordering the food I asked for clean cutlery, my fork had congealed food still on it. After the meal I approached someone to ask if we could have our table cleared, we had waited nearly half an hour for someone to clear up. Long story short, my dad had fish and chips which were inedible, 2 of the 4 desserts were sent back due to being horrible, the service (or lack of) was dreadful. I made a complaint to the boss and 'politely' asked him to take my dad's meal off our bill and the 2 desserts. All 4 deserts were removed as well as dad's meal. Apparently there was a 40 minute delay which we weren't told about, instead we were sat there getting rather fed up. The boss didn't seem too bothered that we were very unhappy with our time there.
They have a website and ask that you leave a comment-I did: filthy cutlery, inedible food, dreadful service, my 1st and last visit to the outdated, shabby pub. The worst ever.

Not the worst experience by any means but we were in the restaurant in waitrose and the kitchen had a total melt down we waited 1 hour but at the half hour point they bought more drinks obtained from our paid bill tab ,and then we received a full refund and our meal,
Now that's service and we never even had to complain ,if something's wrong have the conviction to fix it

I'd have to go back to the late 1970s and early 1980s when a lot of restaurants took the view that a vegetarian would be quite happy with a runny omelette and positively overjoyed if it was accompanied by a soggy lettuce leaf and a thin slice of tasteless tomato.

Hmm, I am sure I've had more than this one, but the one that just popped in to my head was when I was served chicken that wasn't cooked through.

They offered to replace it, but at that point I was like :eek::eek::eek: "No thanks..."

One that left me speechless was an Indian restaurant I went to in the late 1980s. There was an extensive menu, but nothing specifically vegetarian. I asked if it was possible to have a vegetarian version of any of the dishes, as they were all very standard fare. They told me they couldn't. I left. It's possible that I visited the only Indian restaurant in the UK that didn't do a vegetarian dish.

I hate restaurants where when you try ordering something on the menu they don't have it available to the point that you have to ask, "What is available?" Bad planning from the executive chef for that one. I went to one restaurant that was really a hole-in-the-wall kind of place but I didn't mind because I went there for the food and their "award winning buffalo chicken wings". Suffice to say my friends didn't enjoy the company of rats and the utensil didn't look like it was washed clean.

In France more than twenty years ago. Waiter obviously did not understand my order and brought me something with some hair sticking out. I still regret paying for it and leaving. Besides the fact that it was some bizarre food the waiter was rude and impatient in any language.

During my days as a VSO volunteer in Eritrea, I was having a meal with a few of my fellow volunteers. Being eager to appear good inclusive types, we ordered using the Tigrigna language of the region. All was going well until one of our party asked for the bill. Our waiter burst into hysterics and once he had recovered, explained that our man had just requested a light bulb, the words for a light bulb and a bill being very similar.

On reflection, it would have been even funnier if the waiter had taken the order with a straight face and returned with a light bulb on a tray. An opportunity lost.

Back
Top Bottom