What weird and wonderful combinations did you drink as a child?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:58 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Following on from my 'what do you eat/drink when you have a cold?' thread, it brought back memories of a choldhood drink concoction that now just turns my stomach even to think about...

So what combination/concoctions did you make as a kid that now the thought of horrifies you?

I'll start, though it may take a little beating to say the least!

My brother and I both used to make Ribena milkshakes. All that was required was full cream milk and ribena and we used to drink it by the pint, literally.

When? Well we are probably talking from 1980 through to 1985 or so, because it was before my sister was born. Now, the closest I come to Ribena is when I'm ill, and that is hot Ribena, made with hot water instead of cold water; otherwise I don't touch the stuff normally.

I didn't drink it in quantities, for reasons which will become obvious, but remember sipping some when my Mum made it for herself.

Shovril.

Bovril, with a dash of sherry.

I actually remember it as quite nice - like a rich wine based gravy I guess.

I do remember mixing coke and lemonade, and liking it, and then finding that mixing coke and orange juice wasn't nearly as nice.

I do remember mixing coke and lemonade, and liking it, and then finding that mixing coke and orange juice wasn't nearly as nice.
I asked for a coke and an orange juice in a pub in Cornwall a while back and was a bit surprised when the chap assumed I wanted them in the same glass.:facepalm: He tried it and declared it tasted foul. :D

My brother & I used to do the Ribena milkshake thing when we were young but I didn't really like them that much to be honest.

My brother used to drink orange fizzy pop - Jusoda I think it was called. Nothing wrong with that, you say? Well, there was, because he used to dip his salmon and shrimp paste sandwiches in it, then suck the pop out of the bread before popping the soggy mess in his mouth. It's making me heave just thinking about it - 50 years down the line.

He wouldn't drink a glass of orange unless he had a sandwich to dunk in it. As an adult, he's never touched fizzy orange, or salmon and shrimp paste sandwiches, so it obviously left its mark on him as well as the rest of the family.

A tablespoonful of pure ethanol (96%), by mistake, when I was about 10 years old.

Back
Top Bottom