What were treats at holidays or other special occasions when you were a child?

Baklava, halva,boza and tulumba during summer vacation with Grandma as a kid.

Chocolate pralines were a treat and not available daily. The sweetest and dearest were the pralines I would get after playing at a concert growing up.

My long time favourites were either Griotte, choc praline with sourcherry liquor filling inside or Chilling cubes (Ledena kocka) for lack of better translation, it had nothing to do with chilling or chills, the filling was light minty, so that was the game.

Grandma's cakes(any), she was a master homecook. Mom's cheese pastry (banica s sirene), the Bulgarian way, layered in many layers or wrinkled, cut into cubes after baking.

So,yeah, I am a former sweettooth (oh this looks misspelled). 😎🍰

My favorite Halloween treat was the candy corn (which I dislike today).

My favorite Thanksgiving treat was being able to snag the turkey heart before anyone else. I still love that.

Christmas meals varied each year, so no chance for a favorite to develop, but when Dad discovered the Feast of the Seven Fishes from Italian culture for Christmas Eve - my favorite treats were any of those!

Easter I much preferred the hard boiled eggs hidden around the house over anything in the Easter basket - but okay, I really did like any dark chocolate bunnies in there. I usually ate them ears down.

As kids, the Lindor chocolate truffles were always a special treat at Christmas time. We never had them any other time of the year as they seemed to be available only over the holidays.

Now they are available in many discount/ grocery stores all year long. They are still a treat and I TRY to use restraint in purchasing so they remain a treat.. goofy, I know..

As kids, the Lindor chocolate truffles were always a special treat at Christmas time. We never had them any other time of the year as they seemed to be available only over the holidays.

Now they are available in many discount/ grocery stores all year long. They are still a treat and I TRY to use restraint in purchasing so they remain a treat.. goofy, I know..
We seldom saw those, and not at holidays. Sometimes houseguests would bring them to the family. They were (and are) awesome...

Back
Top Bottom