What would you compare lamb to?

Local time
4:47 PM
I have never eaten lamb before...I'm as surprised as anyone! I'm usually a huge lover of exotic foods, in fact, my favorite seafood is eel..So it's weird that I've never tried lamb! People have told me it's almost like hamburger, only really, really greasy. What would you compare the taste to? I'd like to hear some input before I go out and buy it. I like red meat way more than white meat, so I was wondering which one it tastes more like.

Lamb tastes like... well, lamb!

It can be fatty, depends on the cut and the cooking method. I don't know is you get the same cuts over there as in the UK, but why not try a chop or cutlet if you can get them - that way you have a little bit, and haven't wasted a whole big joint if you don't like it.

Sort of depends what kind, in my experience.

It's a little bit like slightly gamier, more pungent beef, maybe?

For a first timer I might suggest lamb chops, since I think they're the tastiest bit of lamb and tend to be juicy and fatty in a satisfactory almost pork-like way. Gyro style meat and ground lamb are also good.

I don't really like the thicker roasts very much.

Sort of depends what kind, in my experience.

It's a little bit like slightly gamier, more pungent beef, maybe?

For a first timer I might suggest lamb chops, since I think they're the tastiest bit of lamb and tend to be juicy and fatty in a satisfactory almost pork-like way. Gyro style meat and ground lamb are also good.

I don't really like the thicker roasts very much.

I have also heard from a few other people that it tastes a lot gamier! I've never thought about having lambchops first before, which is so funny because they are such a common dish that you would think I'd have eaten it by now! I'm going to have to have my fiance make some for dinner soon! Is lamb usually more inexpensive to buy due to it being a bit gamier and whatnot? That, and duck, are the two next things I want to try when I get the chance!

No idea about over in the States. Here it's quite expensive, more so than chicken or pork, similar in price to good beef I think.

Put it this way, I can't afford it! The last lamb I had at home (NT's parents do serve it) was some chops I was given by a friend who keeps a small herd of sheep. They were 'payment' for housesitting and minding the sheep for a weekend. The chops came from one of the sheep I'd been looking after!

In Mexico lamb is popularly consumed in a slow-cooked dish called "Barbacoa" which is served on special occasions and traditionally in taco dinner on Sundays.

I have found several other dishes in the Mexican cuisine that include either lamb, sheep or goat, which taste is similar. Goat in example is roasted and served in the border with the USA under the name of "Cabrito," which can only be found in some Texan restaurants.

In Mexico lamb is popularly consumed in a slow-cooked dish called "Barbacoa" which is served on special occasions and traditionally in taco dinner on Sundays.

I have found several other dishes in the Mexican cuisine that include either lamb, sheep or goat, which taste is similar. Goat in example is roasted and served in the border with the USA under the name of "Cabrito," which can only be found in some Texan restaurants.

Interesting, I'm used to seeing goat birria but not usually lamb at Mexican places. I associate lamb with Indian and Mediterranean food mostly, then secondarily with British dishes like lamb roasts,

I absolutely love lamb, but the cost of it makes it rather prohibitive for me to eat regularly. It does have a stronger flavor than beef, but it is a wonderful flavor. It's a difficult flavor to describe, very meaty but it's also kind of like a very virgin olive oil plus some grassy notes. It is heavenly with fresh garlic and parsley. Some of the cuts can be very fatty, but depending on how you cook it, you can render much of that excess fat off so it won't be in your final meal.

Whenever I order it at restaurants, I usually get a whole rack of it, and I will eat the whole thing in one sitting.

I don't know what to compare it to... it has a strong taste in my opinion. It tastes more like beef than anything else, but it's stronger. I don't particularly like it. I have tried it once and liked it, but every other time it was really bad in my opinion! I guess it depends on how it's seasoned and prepared, but I don't like it.

I love lamb and I think OhioTom76 described it perfectly "very meaty but it's also kind of like a very virgin olive oil plus some grassy notes" ! Perfect description! My favorite is lamb chops. I love putting them in the slow cooker with some spices rubbed on them and onions surrounding them and letting them cook. The meat is fall apart in your mouth amazing. I've honestly never met anyone who has said they didn't like the lamb chop….they are that good! Also lamb meatballs are pretty awesome too!

Back
Top Bottom