What your significant other does with food and drink that annoys you?

mjd

Veteran
Local time
6:25 AM
This topic arose from a conversation between Jasoh and me. Just curious....

We could start another thread about "what your significant other does with food and drink that annoys you" and get a lot of responses, I would imagine.

I like to try to eat dinner around dark. In the summer that is quite late, sometimes 10 o'clock. As the days grow shorter, I try to eat a few minutes earlier each night. During the week we watch the stock channel programmes and hubby stuffs himself with Cheetos for his TV snack (he is not a big guy), so he usually isn't hungry when it's dinner time. I will start asking him around 8:30 what time he wants to eat, and often by dark he is still not hungry yet, so I get annoyed. He tells me to eat without him and I won't do that. The TV programme times do not change with the changing daylight hours, unfortunately.

Looking forward to this conversation as it's nice to know I'm not the only one! ;-0

I started off by talking about my ex hiding food he doesn't like under other food on his plate. I would tell him that he can just say he doesn't care for something as it won't offend me. He never would say anything though.

I started off by talking about my ex hiding food he doesn't like under other food on his plate. I would tell him that he can just say he doesn't care for something as it won't offend me. He never would say anything though.
I am sure it's something to do with his childhood. Maybe he had a mother like mine who wouldn't let us leave the table without eating all of our food.

I am sure it's something to do with his childhood. Maybe he had a mother like mine who wouldn't let us leave the table without eating all of our food.

Yes, that sounds likely. I think many of us had those kind of parent/s. "No, thank you" was not an acceptable answer. Our mother would sometimes sneak and put a spoon of sugar on something to get us to choke it down (ie. I didn't care for spaghetti as a kid) but we had to clean our plates.

I'm sure I'll have others, but my main one is differing eating schedules during the week.

Weekends are fine, for whatever reason, but weekdays, she wants to eat every meal about two hours after I eat, which means I'm either starving when she wants to eat, or she's not hungry when I want to eat.

Also, getting toast crumbs in the butter, jam in the peanut butter (and vice-versa)...basically any two things that can be spread on something, she'll use the same knife for both without cleaning it first, so there're always traces of mayonnaise in the mustard jar, and mustard in the mayonnaise jar, and Nutella in the marmalade, and marmalade in the Nutella, etc.

I'm lucky in that he eats anything I cook. The only issue is that he eats very slowly but I'm used to that. Lately though, he has taken to making mmm noises every few seconds when eating. I should add that he has early stage dementia and I am sure its related to that. He makes other noises like this during the day.

My husband is adorable, also as a fellow diner.

However, he has trouble saying he doesn't like something because he wants to be making me happy all the time, which is great but sometimes not very practical. He's slowly starting to get to it though by saying things like 'I am not sure this is my favorite way to prepare this..' after much insistence on my part when I see he is not enjoying it :laugh:

Oh, and he always leaves trails in the kitchen.. Fryer fat when he cleans the fryer, water when he does the dishes, leftover packaging if he used the last one etc. Yes, that's a pet peeve but he's such a sweet man that I forgive him.

Windingo, my husband (he's my ex now) did this. He thinks "cleaning the kitchen" means washing and rinsing the dishes ONLY. He doesn't wipe down the stove, clean the counters, sweep and mop the floor or put food away. I appreciate that he always volunteered to do dishes since I cooked, but I knew my "shift" wasn't done for the night.

he has taken to making mmm noises every few seconds when eating. I should add that he has early stage dementia
Yep, my MIL started doing that in the early stages, and progressed to humming tunelessly to herself.

leftover packaging if he used the last one etc.
MrsTasty, if she gets things out to make a sandwich, she leaves everything out and open, even if it needs to be back in the fridge. I'll stick my head in the kitchen an hour after she's made a ham sandwich, and there's the container of ham, opened, and the bread sack, opened, and the jar of mustard, with the lid off, and the cheese, sitting out, and crumbs and splotches of whatever everywhere.

I've asked her before why she doesn't put it up, and she says, "In case you want one." 😒

She'll also grab the entire "family-sized" bag of pretzels or whatever, sit down in front of the TV, eat her fill, then set the opened bag down on the floor, out of site, and I'll go looking for them two days later, and there they are, too stale to eat.

My husband clangs/bangs the spoon around the bowl when he is eating cereal. He then makes slurping noises. He slices half a banana and plops the other half with the peel still on atop a paper towel in the refrigerator and forgets about it. He leaves crumbs all over the toaster oven and on the counter. Also guilty of not wiping up the counter or stove top or counter when he scrambles eggs or prepares a sandwich.

When we go out to dinner, he eats soooooo fast and then eyes my food and if my family is with me, theirs too. Fine dining portions do not satisfy his appetite. I am a very slow eater and the pacing is just not right.

When we go out to dinner, he eats soooooo fast and then eyes my food and if my family is with me, theirs too.
MrsTasty is the opposite, she eats really slowly. At home, we almost always eat off tray tables in the living room, and I always plate and serve hers first, then plate and take a snap of mine. I guarantee you that 19 times out of 20, I'll still start eating before she does, and one million times out of one million, I'll finish waaaay before she does. I fall in that category of "three hours to prepare, 90 seconds to eat."

I don't eye her food, though, with the exception of pizza, which isn't on her plate, but still in the kitchen. I get highly irritated when she says she wants half the pizza, then eats a quarter of it, saves the other quarter, then never eats it and it goes in the trash a week later.

Back
Top Bottom