Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I'm familiar with it. I'm partial to a chilli sauce, but not overly enthusiastic about vodka.

One of the strange things about vodka is that whoever you meet will tell you it's their invention. Naturally, Russians will claim this, but Ukrainians and Poles will say it's their own.

Whan you think about what Vodka really is, it is not that impressive. It is grain alcohol, diluted with water.

CD

This is a beer that I really like. We used to get it regularly when I worked near an off-licence in Edinburgh that stocked it, but I've not seen it for a while, so I must hunt some down. It's Odell Cutthroat Porter, a 5% English-style porter. An excellent brew.

None of the black beer above, but plenty of this. Hook Norton brews some excellent beers, including Double Stout. Usually, it comes in bottled form, so when they made it available in minipins, that had to be worth a go. Double Stout is a 4.8% almost-black beer with a very good depth of flavour. This, in my view, is an infinitely better beer than the mass-produced, freezing cold stuff that the likes of Guinness and Murphy's churn out.

It's one of those oddities that I rarely came across Hook Norton beer when I lived in Oxfordshire. I've drunk much more of it since living in Scotland. This is down to a combination of factors; in those days, with tied houses, there were no Hook Norton pubs in the city of Oxford. Most of them were in the northern part of the county, around the area of Banbury, unsurprising as this is where the village of Hook Norton is located. Secondly, there was no internet in those days. Now, it's a simple case of ordering directly from the brewery.

Since we were on a black beer night, a bottle of Hawkshead porter was also given a run out. This is a new one to me and I thought it very good. A deep, roasted flavour with quite a sharp bitterness. It's 4.9%, so it's another one you wouldn't want to have a session on. Quite a slow drinking evening, but a chance to savour the various notes of each beer.

90F with a heat index of 94F, so this is tasting pretty good right now.

I just checked Cincy, they're 95F/feels like 99F. What a difference 45 miles makes.

You live away from the city, with vast amounts of grasses and trees. That cools the air. Cincinnati, like most cities, is a heat island.

94F with a heat index of 103F here. A piña colada would be very good right now. Sigh.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom