Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having polished off the Hooky Gold last night, we needed something to finish the evening. A bottle of Shepherd Neame London Porter did the job very nicely. It has the hoppiness one associates with Shepherd Neame and a good liquorice kick to it. A very fine "finisher."

I find a small tot of dark rum goes nicely with a dark beer and we have some Appleton Estate Signature. Just the thing for a chilly winter evening - it has an immediate warmth in the mouth that it much appreciated.

We have one other minipin of Hook Norton, a new beer called Off the Hook. It seemed sensible to open it last night, as the shelf life isn't very long for such beer.

This is a 4.3% pale beer, superficially similar to Hooky Gold. It has a much sharper bitterness, which I enjoyed very much. There is a little citrus aroma and taste, along with plenty of hop.

Woof.

Aha! A box arrives. In it, four minikegs containing more beer from the north-east of England. Two from First and Last brewery and one each from Alnwick and Cullercoats. As previously, these are from the excellent Northumbrian Gifts site.

I am indebted to my friend Dr Susie for pointing us to this site. She is to be trusted when it comes to beer, as her doctorate was on the history of brewing in the north-east. I always think of her as a prototype Lucy Worsley: bobbed hair (though not blonde), a penchant for dressing up in period costume and boundless enthusiasm. They were even born in the same town, Reading, though Susie has lived in the north-east for so long now she has a Geordie accent. And she's a diehard Newcastle fan, which is probably my fault for taking her to see them play in London in 1976.

Amaretto di Saronno - this is the authentic liqueur

I'm going to have a household aperitif later with a glass of orange juice/Amaretto/mint leaves

Being border-line diabetic, I don't drink fruit juices the way they come from the grocer, excepting Orange Juice and Grapefruit Juice. Instead, I take two bottles and dilute the juices, half juice and half water. And further, every time I finish a bottle, I prepare a bottle of Lemon or Lime Juice from concentrate, having just enough concentrate to tart the water.

I drink coffee almost every morning and it may be given a shot of Kahlua or Bailey's Irish Cream on occasion.

Beer and Wine are for Luxury meal accompaniment. I drink these rarely, holidays and special events mostly. I will not drink cheap mass produced beer. The beers I drink should be quality, with a preference for Hefe Weisse and dark beers. After all, I drink beer for flavor, not recreation. Wines are usually Cabernets with an occasional Reisling or other white wine.

Having polished off the Hooky Gold last night, we needed something to finish the evening. A bottle of Shepherd Neame London Porter did the job very nicely. It has the hoppiness one associates with Shepherd Neame and a good liquorice kick to it. A very fine "finisher."

I find a small tot of dark rum goes nicely with a dark beer and we have some Appleton Estate Signature. Just the thing for a chilly winter evening - it has an immediate warmth in the mouth that it much appreciated.

That Appleton Estate is good. I prefer Jamaican rum to Puerto Rican rum any day of the year. Especially Appleton Estate.

CD

That Appleton Estate is good. I prefer Jamaican rum to Puerto Rican rum any day of the year. Especially Appleton Estate.

CD
We've been buying Plantation Rum lately. I'd not had it until about a year ago and it's very nice. It's from Barbados and is about the same price as the Appleton Estate. I never really drank rum until I went to Cuba a few years ago and tried a few of the older, dark rums. I like the seven-year-old Havana Club, but I would imagine you're not allowed to get Cuban rum in the US.

More beer arrives, this time from Yeovil Ales in the form of a couple of minipins. This brewery always offers a discount for beer around this time of year and it seems thoughtless not to take advantage. They sell a good range of ales in bottles, kegs and pins, but the pins are the best value.

Sadly, there is no sign of the excellent Stout Hearted this year, so we've had to make do with a couple of the paler beers. I'm sure we can overcome this obstacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom