Whatcha drinking (2023)?

Has it got chocolate in it?
1673906024013.jpeg

As january nears its end, winter certainly does not, so what better to go with a rich beef casserole at the weekend than:
2011 Delas Domaine des Grands Chemins Crozes-Hermitage

230117 Delas Crozes-H. '11.JPG

Still very dark with little visual signs of age. After 10 years or so, this had obviously lost its youthful fruitiness but had garnered smoky and woody flavours under the dark fruit, rich and full bodied. Lovely. 100% Syrah.
Note the embossing at shoulder level. Often seen on bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape and more expensive Languedoc reds with the crossed keys symbol of the region. Adds expense and needs heftier glass, so should be phased out to reduce weight IMO.
About £17.00 ten years ago.

Looks good,although I´m not sure I´d want to pay as much right now. Prices seem to range from £17.95 - £36. I love a good Shiraz since I cook lots of spicy food. Any recommended Chilean or Argentinian shiraz?

This is a bottle our friend bought for last meal a few weeks ago .she said it's very expensive. She bought me 2 bottles. This 1 survived the night. Cheryl went to school with my wife.

Russ

Any recommended Chilean or Argentinian shiraz?
Not with spicy food! I am a firm believer in drinking what you like, regardless of 'rules'. I prefer to call them guidelines. So if you like shiraz with your spiciness, go ahead, just not for me. Spices tend to clash with tannins of red wine, so try something with soft tannins. If you like chilean or argentinian shiraz, then the less expensive ones will be better because the tannin is likely to be less overpowering and the wine is likely to be slightly sweeter.

Try riesling too. It works really well with many spicy dishes, but not something like chilli con carne, which is too meaty and tomato-ey.

Or a belgian/german beer.

Thanks! I agree with "what you like". Chilean and Argentinian Shiraz are nowhere near as sugary as the almost sickly sweet Australian or Californian versions. I´ve had Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir with spicy food and loved them. One day, I had a Portuguese vinho verde and just loved the slight effervescence with Indian dishes. A Belgian Witbier/German Weissbier might be a good option, although if the dish is very spicy then the "water" in the beer tends to spread the spice around and it tastes even more spicy.

Back
Top Bottom