Whatcha drinking (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our local pub serve a hot chocolate baileys with cream on the top-can't help thinking it may be rather sweet

Last edited:
Beer has arrived. As you're aching to know what it is, I shall tell you:

Allendale Brewery Wagtail 3.8%
Tyne Bank Brewery Monument 4.1%
Hadrian Border Brewery Tyneside Blonde 3.9%
Alnwick Brewery Alnwick Gold 4.2%

All of these breweries are in the north-east of England and are all pretty new. The oldest is Allendale, which began in 2006. The only one of these beers I've had before is Wagtail, so this is a voyage of discovery. We like trying new things.

5439974F-3391-4183-999A-BF97836EF2BF.jpeg

I enjoyed the gin I made in the juniper berries challenge so much that I not only made more, but I bought my own personalized cask to put it in. You can get your own from barrelsonline.com.

I should give a shout to the site where we got our selection of beers mentioned yesterday.

Northumbrian Gifts

I appreciate that it won't be any use to those outside the UK. There is a decent selection of beer and spirits, all from the north-east of England. You can even get the famous Lindisfarne mead there, though it's a bit sweet for my palate.

I must also thank my historian friend, Dr Susie, for pointing me in the direction of this site. Admittedly, I have only used it once (thus far), but I found them very helpful and friendly.

I should give a shout to the site where we got our selection of beers mentioned yesterday.

Northumbrian Gifts

I appreciate that it won't be any use to those outside the UK. There is a decent selection of beer and spirits, all from the north-east of England. You can even get the famous Lindisfarne mead there, though it's a bit sweet for my palate.

I must also thank my historian friend, Dr Susie, for pointing me in the direction of this site. Admittedly, I have only used it once (thus far), but I found them very helpful and friendly.
That's quite a site...for UK mainland only. :(

First up, Monument from Tyne Bank in Newcastle.

A fairly pale bitter and a taste that was unexpected. It has a hoppy bitterness, but also a distinct berry flavour that one usually associates with a red ale. I also tasted a little spiciness and even a hint of toffee, strangely enough. Quite a complex affair and different to what I had anticipated, but I enjoyed it.

The name, incidentally, is a reference to the monument (who'd have guessed?) to Earl Grey in Newcastle city centre. It was built in 1838, six years after the Great Reform Act which changed so much in British political life (largely for the better). Grey was Prime Minister when the act was passed. And yes, the tea is named after him.

First up, Monument from Tyne Bank in Newcastle.

A fairly pale bitter and a taste that was unexpected. It has a hoppy bitterness, but also a distinct berry flavour that one usually associates with a red ale. I also tasted a little spiciness and even a hint of toffee, strangely enough. Quite a complex affair and different to what I had anticipated, but I enjoyed it.

The name, incidentally, is a reference to the monument (who'd have guessed?) to Earl Grey in Newcastle city centre. It was built in 1838, six years after the Great Reform Act which changed so much in British political life (largely for the better). Grey was Prime Minister when the act was passed. And yes, the tea is named after him.
One thing I love about this thread is that posts like this transport me back to pubs I've visited in England, Ireland, and Scotland. We have pubs here that look the part, certainly. Here's the Three Blind Mice pub, near where I live, that comes the closest. They didn't reopen at first, and I was afraid that they'd become a casualty of the pandemic. But, I saw a sign out front a few days ago, so I'm going to pay them a visit.

3-blind-mice-irish-pub.jpg

The only downside when it comes to the authentic British pub experience? No British accents! :laugh:

I decide to randomly open a beer from a variety pack from Atwater Brewery. I'm not overjoyed with the one I picked:

View attachment 48698

The best thing about this beer is the very artistic can. But, the beer is waaay too hop-heavy. I like hops, but this is an assault on my tongue. Yes, it's possible to enjoy hops in a beer without it seeming like I'm washing down grass clippings from my lawn (and the joke's on you: I decided not to mow my lawn last weekend).

6.5% alcohol, so if I'm brave enough to have another, I will gradually start to care less and less about the hops.
I wish I'd read my own words of wisdom once in a while. Had I done that, I would have avoided accidentally grabbing one of these just now to enjoy with an innocent bowl of heavily modified sesame chicken. Now, I am considering pressing charges for what this beer did to that lovely blend of spicy and sweet in my reimagined sesame chicken. For one thing, it's mean. What has that sesame chicken ever done to you? And, of course, it might be a hate crime because the dish is Asian. The doctors tell me I can lead a normal life one day after witnessing this horror.

Oh no, now I'm going down memory lane (what's left of it), and thinking about drinking games that came and went long before beer pong. On we played in college was "Hi Bob." You watched the Bob Newhart show, and did a shot or chugged a beer everytime somebody on the show said, "Hi bob." It happened a lot on that show. :drink:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9pZWCd8MU

CD

There was a TV series called The Beer Hunter, by a British writer called Michael Jackson (insert own jokes here). He wrote several books about beer and malt whisky.
Yes...I'm very familiar with that Michael Jackson...I used to brew my own beer, and he was well-known enough among brewers that his name eclipsed the name of...that other guy.

The other famous name in Britain, at least in beer terms, is Roger Protz. He was the one who really got CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) going and edited the Good Beer Guide for many years. He's written several books, too.

He's one of the few (relatively) famous people I've met. Like me, he's politically on the left and I encountered him at a meeting many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom