What's a Good Substitute for Sour Cream Powder

Athenagdlyt

Veteran
Local time
9:22 PM
I am looking for a good substitute for sour cream powder like the ones used for potato chips and french fries. We use this powder as an added flavoring for onion and potato soups. Unfortunately, the sour cream powder was out of stock at the grocery. I have already bought my ingredients except for the sour cream flavor. How can I replicate the taste by using other ingredients?

Is there any reason why you can't just use sour cream or crème fraiche or even ordinary cream with a touch of lemon juice in it? After all you are adding it to soup.
I use soya cream with lemon juice as an alternative to both sour cream and crème fraiche or pureed cashew nuts with lemon juice which works equally as well.

I have never heard of this product, but now that you mentioned it I am rather intrigued by it now, lol.

A few things came to mind initially: Have you considered looking for some powdered soup mix, something like a powdered cream of chicken? There may be something in your soup aisle, among the powdered bouillon which is comparable or at least close enough to the powdered sour cream. Another thing I was thinking of, was just use some powdered milk, and a little splash of vinegar. If you are concerned about real sour cream or real cream separating on you in the soup, the powdered milk may work better and give you that creaminess, then the vinegar gives you the tang. I've used vinegars and lemon/lime juices in several soup recipes. For example, my Black Bean Soup recipe calls for cider vinegar in it, to counter the richness of it.

The last thing I was thinking of, which I would test on a small batch first, would be Cream Of Tartar. It's not really "creamy" though, but it will add some sourness. It's actually a byproduct of wine making.

Back
Top Bottom