What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strawberry plants for Africa here.
I'll probably take spare/excess down to the CWA meeting next month when I know how much room I haven't got left in the veg plot!
Seriously considering extending it at the moment. The original fencing is giving up the ghost and I have a 50m section of chook proof electric fencing that needs a new home.... that would work quite nicely twice round a new veg plot area...

The iris are looking great, the rest of the garden is still work in progress.

This afternoon I mowed the back lawns, cleaned out and refilled the pond. I believe we are due some rain at some point over the next few days so best to get it sorted now.

Is the newt OK? I'm not sure you are supposed to clean out ponds this time of year...

The pond has a lot of icky algae in it which is swamping the other plants, we need to get some anti-ick plants. Haven't seen Tiny but then I have been making a lot of noise mowing etc...so probably keeping a low profile.
Would a newt-cam be going a bit too far :unsure:

The pond has a lot of icky algae in it which is swamping the other plants, we need to get some anti-ick plants. Haven't seen Tiny but then I have been making a lot of noise mowing etc...so probably keeping a low profile.
Would a newt-cam be going a bit too far :unsure:
Get some hay. Usually a bale, but for a pond, fill (as in jam packed) a half pillow case or so and drown (brick or 2) the hay in the pond.... or just get a fine fishing net and skim the algae off the surface but ensure that you dump everything on the side of the pond overnight for longer so that anything accidentally caught can crawl back in...

My previous property had 3 ponds that were badly neglected when we first moved in. We started with 3 very sick goldfish and within 2 years had a population of 22... (We rehomed them before we left to someone we knew would look after them).

I'll probably take spare/excess down to the CWA meeting next month when I know how much room I haven't got left in the veg plot!
Seriously considering extending it at the moment. The original fencing is giving up the ghost and I have a 50m section of chook proof electric fencing that needs a new home.... that would work quite nicely twice round a new veg plot area...
These are non producers so I will try and burn them.

Russ

So how much has that set you back if you don't mind new asking. And is that soil as well?
I don’t mind at all. The flowers, all told, were about $200US. That’s what’s in the four planters above and the three planters in the front.

Hanging baskets (3) were another $60, but the price differences were immense - $5 for one in the back, and $27 each for the other two. Those two came from Lancaster County, PA, where anything grown/raised (food, plants) will be of extremely high quality, but will be crazy-expensive.

Not pictured, I had to replace one coral bell ($11) and one dianthus ($15).

Yes, the planters all have potting soil in them. Each year, I remove half from each planter, use it in various other places, and replace it with fresh and mix it all up.

I don’t mind at all. The flowers, all told, were about $200US. That’s what’s in the four planters above and the three planters in the front.

Hanging baskets (3) were another $60, but the price differences were immense - $5 for one in the back, and $27 each for the other two. Those two came from Lancaster County, PA, where anything grown/raised (food, plants) will be of extremely high quality, but will be crazy-expensive.

Not pictured, I had to replace one coral bell ($11) and one dianthus ($15).

Yes, the planters all have potting soil in them. Each year, I remove half from each planter, use it in various other places, and replace it with fresh and mix it all up.

You had to pay for replacements? The garden centers around here will give you free replacements, no questions asked.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom