What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve had two or three frosts and one or two freezes already, and the flowers out front are really hanging in there without any special treatment:

The basil…not so much:

Last edited:
Basil is 1 thing we never put in our garden, lesson learned on that, the plants sit on our kitchen window sill giving out gorgeous smells and it is easier to pick to use/feed to Rolo.

I usually plant basil in my garden, but due to the heat and drought, I planed my basil in a pot on the kitchen windowsill this year. It is not ideal, but it is doing a lot better than I expected.

CD

Breaking my ankle has meant no more gardening for me this year. I did buy a few perennials a couple days after the break and made husband plant them, but he doesn’t have a huge interest in gardening. So it’s mostly been sitting.

We should get a killing frost within the next couple of weeks. I will need to get husband to move the breakable pots and things into the shed, and pull out the plants from the veg garden. Hopefully once the leaves drop I’ll be able to at least do the raking in my boot. Right now we have one tree that’s dropped almost everything already, but the big maples in my yard have barely even turned colour yet!

I have given the lawns their last cut of the year, haven't been able to touch them for a while- heavy rain/poorly with covid so they were getting a bit messy. That was the big job now it is just about pottering to tidy up which can be half an hour in the evenings before it gets too dark.
We still have flowers blooming so want to keep them for as long as possible, pink, red, purple, orange.
Due to less sunshine our pond wasn't too bad, just a bit of surface algae and a top up.

I usually plant basil in my garden, but due to the heat and drought, I planed my basil in a pot on the kitchen windowsill this year. It is not ideal, but it is doing a lot better than I expected.

CD

I learnt a trick to grow a new plant from a cutting from a shop bought plant. Got one on the go now, the smell Is divine and Rolo loves the stuff so win win for us all :happy:

Well, they were in my garden, but now they’ve invaded my house, as they do every year:

Those little spots are ladybugs, and that’s just one small section. We have hundreds in the house right now.

Well, they were in my garden, but now they’ve invaded my house, as they do every year:

View attachment 91687

Those little spots are ladybugs, and that’s just one small section. We have hundreds in the house right now.

And then what happens? Surely its wrong time of year for ladybirds (as they are called here). We get them in summer. Maybe we are talking about different things...

And then what happens? Surely its wrong time of year for ladybirds (as they are called here). We get them in summer. Maybe we are talking about different things...
No, it’s the right time here - they’re looking to escape the oncoming cold weather.

As to what happens…I vacuum them up with a handheld vacuum and take them back outside.

No, it’s the right time here - they’re looking to escape the oncoming cold weather.

As to what happens…I vacuum them up with a handheld vacuum and take them back outside.
We used to get the same when we lived in Surrey. We'd ignore them for so long and then collect them and relocate them to the garden shed in amongst some leaf litter (in a box). As you say, it's normal. Seeking somewhere warmer to hibernate.

The nice thing about ladybugs is that they kill the little bugs that attack our gardens. You can buy them in boxes with hundreds of them to release in your garden.

CD

We’re expecting frost pretty much any day now, so husband (at my behest) pulled up all the tomato plants from the garden and put away the tomato cages. He put away the hoses, drained the outside water line, etc. There’s still plenty of work to do to get the garden ready for winter but it’s a start.

My dad came by earlier this week and planted some milkweed and russian sage in my useless front yard dirt patch; hope they survive the winter and we get milkweed next summer for the monarch butterflies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom