What's going on in your garden (2018-2022)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the rest of the basil died. Another frost came in and finished the job.

My Thai basil, serrano peppers, and oregano are shriveled up and brown. I'm not surprised that these plants that are accustomed to warmer climates had trouble this year.

The chives, though, are happy, despite the recent snowfall. I just read that chives are the only species of Allium native to both the New and the Old Worlds. Quite a hearty plant.

I have that stuff starting in my basement..I have a small grow lamp with an old table. I have tomatoes, basil, oregano, cucumbers, coriander, thyme going so far..we have a shorter growing season so we don't normally put much in the ground until the end of May..

I am going to have to start doing this. Last summer was my first one planting vegetables. You are north of where I am, so if it works for you, it will certainly work for me.

I am going to have to start doing this. Last summer was my first one planting vegetables. You are north of where I am, so if it works for you, it will certainly work for me.

I can usually plant by the third week in March. I was late this year. We had a close call last night, but didn't quite get down to freezing.

CD

20210422_101331.jpg
My herbs are still seedlings; I keep them inside under artificial light and plant them in the swift of May-June in the countryside (in big pots, I think - to move inside in case of night frost).

The mold on top of the oasis foam (underneath the peat brickets) is from molasses from the nutrient water. It doesn't affect the seedlings. I've cut a hole beneath each bag to allow moisture to infiltrate. That was quite a task, as the bags are so slippery that I couldn't cut more than three or four bags at a time (and there were nearly 300 pouches).

Morning Glories in purple haze:
20210422_103438.jpg

Last edited:
Cold snap brought rain all day yesterday and snow last night..I had started with spinach and lettuce, brought up some of the pots of herbs I had going in the basement..but, that is all on hold until it warms up and dries up now..

The ground has been really quite dry for a while, now it is raining very heavily and the ground must be really enjoying it, especially the new plants I put in yesterday.

The ground has been really quite dry for a while, now it is raining very heavily and the ground must be really enjoying it, especially the new plants I put in yesterday.

Lately, my garden has had plenty to drink. I only had water one or two days in a week.

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom