What's the difference between a stuffing and a filling?

@morning glory

I agree there are a lot of recipes for "stuffed" pancakes, but when you read them they mention putting the "filling" in the pancakes. I still say it is a filling, not a stuffing.

Fish would be in the meat/veg category thus, stuffed. (on another topic: I never understood why fish was never considered a type of meat. I mean, just because it lives in water? Makes no sense to me.)

I didn't think fish was meat - but I'm probably thinking of cookery books and super market layouts.

OED says:

Screen Shot 2019-02-05 at 20.55.46.png

Eggs can be stuffed too. I think that definitely counts as 'stuffed'.

Turducken..png

Growing up, when we were kids, we always called it dressing! It was our most favorite part of the bird!! As we branched out & left the nest, we called it stuffing, as you say.

A lot of things are often stuffed, such as seafood, pasta, even meat. Turducken (in pic) is also stuffed. I'd say that it is called stuffing, not dressing. Even if you were to just bake it in the oven outside the bird, it is sti;; called stuffing. :wink:

I've been contemplating making mini turduckens by boning out turkey legs (they sell HUGE ones locally), then boning out duck thighs and/or leg quarters depending on size, and finishing with boned out chicken thighs. It's something I've been wanting to taste for years, but we just don't have enough people to do it using whole birds.

I've been contemplating making mini turduckens by boning out turkey legs (they sell HUGE ones locally), then boning out duck thighs and/or leg quarters depending on size, and finishing with boned out chicken thighs. It's something I've been wanting to taste for years, but we just don't have enough people to do it using whole birds.

Should work. I've eaten a 3 bird roast but not made by me. I think its overrated as the tastes sort of meld together and you don't really get a sense of 3 birds. It might just have been the one I had though.

Should work. I've eaten a 3 bird roast but not made by me. I think its overrated as the tastes sort of meld together and you don't really get a sense of 3 birds. It might just have been the one I had though.

You're probably right about the taste, but it's just something I've wanted to try.

Turducken Roll..jpg

You mean something like THIS? I've been wanting to do that also for the same reason. Only me!! :wink:

Last edited:
In the end. If it’s good. Who cares. Stuffing, filling, whatever.

Some are definitely only a stuffing and some a filling, but I think for the most part they are interchangeable.

But as far as the fish thing @morning glory I know fish is not considered meat. I know they say it is because fish swim and are not on land. It Never made sense to me. Just like stuffing/filling. Semantics get in the way sometimes but is necessary to fully express a concise thought. Oh well. Enough philosophy for today. Lol

Growing up, stuffing was inside the bird and dressing was cooked outside the bird...bread stuffing in and corn bread dressing out. I think of stuffing as a particular kind of dish not just any ole thing that can be stuffed into something. I can stuff a bevy of pingpong balls in a turkey but that doesn't make them stuffing.

Back
Top Bottom