What's the most disgusting thing you've ever tasted?

Gene Gibly

Guru
Local time
10:38 PM
For me it was blue cheese - I did the whole screwing up my face, hunching my shoulders, spitting, gagging, hand flapping thing - it was awful.

How about you?

I'm struggling to think of a taste that's done that to me. For me, it's texture that often puts me off. Mushrooms for example. And I had half a snail once in France, didn't feel the need to have the other half.

Another one for blue cheese - I just can't get my taste buds around that.

The thing that had me doing the whole screwing up face, gagging, hand flapping thing was a four cheese pizza in France. It seemed like a great idea until you realize that it was four French cheeses used, including Roquefort and Camembert, rather than the four Italian ones I'd anticipated.:facepalm:

On the days when we were completely unable to cook or obtain anything vegetarian on our aborted world tour we usually managed to find something that was acceptable even if it was meat or fish (which we knew at some point was inevitable on our cycling tour - we had a stunning pork chop prepared for us in Dynow in Poland by the hotel owner who must have been a chef (I've not eaten pork in +30 years, but that meal was amazing and freshly prepared for us)), but in Belarus we were served a smoked white salmon and mushroom omlette with a very salty hard white cheese. It was truely awful & still had the bones in it as well. Even my husband failed to eat it.

I love blue cheese, but I can't eat it. The mould is too similar to the penicillin mould that I am highly allergic to.

I can't think of any food that has made me need to flap and spit out, though there are foods I won't even try to eat: brains, testicles, insects and animals that are still living or moving on the plate.
I used to like escargot and would order it in restaurants and also cook them at home. Then one day, while I was eating some home cooked ones, I suddenly had a memory flash back to the time when I was at school and we had a tank of snails in the classroom. The teacher lead us into the classroom one Monday morning and was met with a crunch crunch as he stepped on the escapees. The image of squashed snails on the classroom floor meant that I couldn't finish the snail I was eating at the time. I haven't eaten one since.

As for drinks, I think licorice Absenth at 95% proof was one I really struggled to swallow.

Blue cheese - check; snails - check. But the outright winner is andouillettes. They're French sausages made from tripe, among other things, and as you cook them, all these tubes pop out. The smell is bad enough, but oh, the taste! The first time we had them was at a barbecue, and as there was a load of alcohol on board, we didn't realise what we were eating. The next time we were sober. Never again! According to what we read, General de Gaulle loved them, but his dog wouldn't touch them. Sensible dog!

I've heard of andouillette, but never been daft enough to order them. Some friends of mine didn't realise, and both ordered them in a restaurant, so they couldn't even share one nice meal....

andouillettes for me, I have eaten many things but the smell is foul makes your hands smell and is satins food,tried expensive stuff still nasty,tried the cajun stuff still no go,but it still sell well in france,not for me though!!!

I would have to say Bean Salad. My mom made it for us when we were kids and it was awful.:yuck: I remember swallowing it down because I didn't want to chew it and have to taste it. I also wanted to get the meal over with as soon as possible. Safe to say I will not be eating that again.

Split pea soup with ham. That stuff is absolutely gross. I don't know why everyone in my family loves it except for me. I can't stand the taste of the peas and the broth. I actually felt like I was going to vomit when I ate it. Then my parents kept making it for dinner throughout the years and made me eat it because we were poor and they were just really into the disciplinarian thing. Now that I am grown I can say that I have not ate peas nor split pea soup in over ten years.

Escargo. I will not eat that not even on a bet. I was on a cruise with my sister and one of our cousins ordered it just to try it. They said it was good but I don't eat snails I don't care if they're cooked. They offered me some and I flatly refused.

Not my experience. It's someone else's.

Disgusting? It goes beyond that.

A friend who visited Switzerland some time back related a tale to me about his sojourn abroad. In his travels he had to spend a night in a farm. Supper was served and after tasting the meat thought the taste was a bit odd. Asking his hosts what kind of meat it was, he was informed that it was cat meat. Needless to say, he didn't try to keep it down. . .

A cat!

I wouldn't trade places with him for anything in the world.

When I was at Uni, we had a research student come from China to do some study on the animal bones found on am archaeological site in Taiwan. As we only ever studied British native fauna, I was asking her about what she was finding, and one thing she mentioned was civet.

Oh, I asked, why would civet be there (as some animals can be pets, or vermin etc)

Food, she said,

Oh, what is the meat like?

She thought for a minute and said "Like dog!"

Seeing my blank expression, she said "Ah, you never eat dog!"

Eventually, we settled on 'strong and gamey' as a description.

It's just cultural. Muslims and Jews won't eat pork*, Hindus won't eat beef. We tend not to eat carnivores, and see dogs and cats as pets, but it's just cultural difference. If offered cat or dog, I'd eat it. If I didn't like it, then I reserve the right to say no thanks next time.

*There are some logical food safety reasons why that taboo probably arose, due to the likelihood of pigs carrying diseases that are transmissible to humans.

Not my experience. It's someone else's.

Disgusting? It goes beyond that.

A friend who visited Switzerland some time back related a tale to me about his sojourn abroad. In his travels he had to spend a night in a farm. Supper was served and after tasting the meat thought the taste was a bit odd. Asking his hosts what kind of meat it was, he was informed that it was cat meat. Needless to say, he didn't try to keep it down. . .

A cat!

I wouldn't trade places with him for anything in the world.
I would not trade places with him either. I am glad that has not happened to me I probably would have thrown it up too.

Back
Top Bottom