What's the worst job you've ever had?

labor law in my country has changed in a way that a lot of people my age are illegally hired as contractors or temporary workers. You can be employee of the month every month and you will still get fired because your employer doesn't want to give you (or anyone) a permanent work contract
Yes, so true. That happens here too. Heard of it. It makes one's life unstabile, surely.
Or, a person may be underpaid. With all the contract and some benefits of a permanent job, making insufficient income. Thinking about side jobs or other solutions.

I once worked in a factory assembling double glazed patio doors the boss was great, the foreman was a pain in the butt, one of my duty's was to unload the truck delivering the glass sealed units with a forklift. Lift them off the truck, drive through the door and take them to the far end of the factory where they were stored until needed. The problem was on entering the door there were three large heater units that I had to raise 19 sealed units above, but after each heater there was a steel beam, so the load had to be lowered to almost ground level.

Think about this, enter the door, raise to the roof space, lower down under the beam, raise to the roof space, lower down under the beam, raise to the roof space, lower down under the beam. I became very good at this and zipped the loads off the truck in great time.

The foreman who did not think I was the best employee working there told me on several occasions " It you break just one unit I will have you sacked". I continued to do the job and he continued to warn. One day the boss was out and a truck arrived, I walked to the forklift only to be ordered " leave it to me I don't want any shattered units.

He is the foreman so I left him to it, his first load took him 25 minuets it normally took me 5 minuets, 19 units safe. the next load fell off and shattered. Will he suggest to the boss that I did it, No the boss saw him shatter the next 19 units. But the boss did reprimand me for allowing the foreman to drive the forklift.

I quit the job.

Jeez Louise!
Either you entirely embrace Derek and Clive or you utterly reject it, there is no in between. Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore were two of the greatest comedy minds in the 1960s and 1970s working with the Monty Python team and David Frost. D&C is what happens when you mix those two with alcohol, other substances and a wish to outrage and outdo each other.

Absolutely. My generation is very impatient and doesn't have a lot of staying power.

As you said most people in my parents generation had the same job for life. As long as you were punctual and did your duties correctly, you would always have a job.

That's not true for my generation, the labor law in my country has changed in a way that a lot of people my age are illegally hired as contractors or temporary workers. You can be employee of the month every month and you will still get fired because your employer doesn't want to give you (or anyone) a permanent work contract. So we jump out of the boat as soon as we see a better opportunity.

Hiring temps to avoid giving them benefits is a big practice in the US, too. I worked as a freelance graphic designer for JC Penny, designing packaging, off-an-on for two years. I worked about 40 weeks a year. They didn't have to provide benefits, and if things were slow, they could tell me not to come in next week. The pay was okay -- about 35-bucks an hour -- but not great. There were several of us in that department, alone. Who knows how many at the whole corporate headquarters.

However, I had a nice cubicle of my own, the people I worked for/with were great, and they had a good cafeteria with reasonable prices for lunch. So, I couldn't complain.

CD

I never got on with one particular boss, he was a Brit, that rubbed me up the wrong way. One day at a sales meeting he turned to me and asked me what I thought of his leadership in the company.?
I said I'll let you know when I see it.
He hated me after that, it was mutual, the worst boss I ever had. ?He was moved on a few months later.

Russ

Either you entirely embrace Derek and Clive or you utterly reject it, there is no in between. Peter Cooke and Dudley Moore were two of the greatest comedy minds in the 1960s and 1970s working with the Monty Python team and David Frost. D&C is what happens when you mix those two with alcohol, other substances and a wish to outrage and outdo each other.

I used to think they were funny back in the day but recently saw some old clips. I simply found them silly.

The worst job I ever had was doing the Christmas post. For some reason the trolleys that the post men and women use these days were not in existence so all the mail had to be carried in a shoulder bag which weighed a ton. I remember it was really cold, icy and snowy and I simply found it impossible to walk safely. I more than once dumped a wad of christmas cards at one house in a street to lighten the load. I figured that Christmas spirit would prevail and the occupant would distribute the cards to the correct neighbours.

To top it all, back at base in the sorting office I was supervised by an extremely unpleasant man who seemed to have an obsession with capital punishment and used to regularly sing, 'let the punishment fit the crime'.

I used to think they were funny back in the day but recently saw some old clips. I simply found them silly.

The worst job I ever had was doing the Christmas post. For some reason the trolleys that the post men and women use these days were not in existence so all the mail had to be carried in a shoulder bag which weighed a ton. I remember it was really cold, icy and snowy and I simply found it impossible to walk safely. I more than once dumped a wad of christmas cards at one house in a street to lighten the load. I figured that Christmas spirit would prevail and the occupant would distribute the cards to the correct neighbours.

To top it all, back at base in the sorting office I was supervised by an extremely unpleasant man who seemed to have an obsession with capital punishment and used to regularly sing, 'let the punishment fit the crime'.
A friend of mine worked for Royal Mail for a bit when he was a student at Oxford. One day, they made the heinous error of giving him a van to drive. His grand moment arrived in Little Clarendon Street, a narrow one-way street about a mile north of the city centre. He had failed to spot that he'd left the back doors open and went whizzing along the street. The doors, naturally, flew open and he'd clattered an impressive number of parked cars before he realised what had happened.

That was the end of his van-driving days.

Two frustrating moments that popped in my mind.
One, during high school we were to get "praxis", we were a language major school, were sent to pack pills on a factory line. Go figure. Not paid. The most boring work process ever. Pills pills box box.

Two, side job, got a McDonald Manual to translate from English to Croatian. Possibly 60 pgs. After work, stayed late, tired and all, to type,as had no computer at home at the time. Unsure if the auto Save could be turned on. But I did not. Had translated and typed 27 pgs, and something happened, and it was gone. Erased. Zero. I think I just sat for a while in utmost anger and frustration. Did it all over again.

Probably that was my last written translation. 😎

Taking a flat chefs hat, wrapping it around a dead shaped thing and glueing it to make the shape :tired: tediously boring.

Cashier at a local fruit and veggie store when I was 16. The owner wife witch was the most horrible person one would ever meet. I went on to work at the local pharmacy as a cashier for the next two years. Family run. What a pleasure that was!

Back
Top Bottom