What's the worst job you've ever had?

A job called rodding weasan at a beef slaughter plant. I stayed in the meat business but as the years went by and I moved up the ladder that job made me always remember where you came from. It also helps be a better manager when you been there done that.

We used to do that. Terribly hard worked, but it was the best paying job a kid could get at the time.

I hung out with a guy when I was 13ish? His father had a small holding, 20 to 30 acres, me and a few others got talked into baling onto a truck, very very hard work, with no pay. My friends big brother ended up killing a few women later in life, he's in prison for life.

Russ

Being the exec chef for a enlightened owner that caters to a demographic that wants to improve themselves and lose weight in a chalet setting on a lake in the Haliburton Highlands of Ontario......cottage country, lots of lakes etc. Very high end with exclusive clientele 5,000.00-10,000 a week range depending on accommodations. Oh, and exclusively vegetarian. Pervious chef was raw vegan....the food didn't go over well. A nightmare, nice accommodations though lol.

Last edited:
No, that's not the worst. When I was a teenager I pruned Christmas trees. Basically your given a very sharp manchette and you go up and down rows of trees and prune in that desirable shape. At least twice a week an ambulance would show up or someone was driven to the hospital....those rows were pretty close together. Good money for a 15yr old and the laws back in 1969, well there wasn't any.

Oh, and exclusively vegetarian.

Was that why you didn't like it - not being able to cook meat? I'd find that aspect pretty easy - in fact I pretty well did it for several years when my son was vegan and daughter vegetarian (plus I eat very little meat anyway) but I wouldn't find being a chef easy at all. Its all the logistics and reproduction of recipes/dishes for large numbers which I'd really hate. Cooking for a family is a different thing altogether.

Was that why you didn't like it - not being able to cook meat? I'd find that aspect pretty easy - in fact I pretty well did it for several years when my son was vegan and daughter vegetarian (plus I eat very little meat anyway) but I wouldn't find being a chef easy at all. Its all the logistics and reproduction of recipes/dishes for large numbers which I'd really hate. Cooking for a family is a different thing altogether.
Haha, no MG not because it was vegetarian. You kinda have to be in the business to really understand what it means. I enjoy cooking vegetarian and vegan foods for restaurants. This was my first all vegetarian and it did push me to the limit coming up with nutritional meals for quests that were going to consume 3 meals a day meeting those nutritional and caloric goals for up to 2 weeks at a time. I had a blast in that regard. The demands of vegetarians in general doesn't just stop at meat. The plethora of nutritional preferences and faux allergies are in full exposure when someone is paying. The guest list was written on a white board in the kitchen with their proper name and within that space was their allergies and preference.....22 guests max with normally 15 or more with situations where your menu isn't quite suitable. Lots of data, well, that was 10 yrs ago when I got curious found that a fairly large % of vegetarians and vegans especially hid eating disorders behind these monikers. And it certainly appeared that way here.

Veganism and Eating Disorders: Beyond Our Self Worth

EDIT: spelling, add link

Last edited:
The plethora of nutritional preferences and faux allergies are in full exposure when someone is paying. The guest list was written on a white board in the kitchen with their proper name and within that space was their allergies and preference.....22 guests max with normally 15 or more with situations where your menu isn't quite suitable.

Ah - I got it now. That is truly difficult.

Not to mention Jane Mansfield and lobsters.

So I won't.

Back
Top Bottom