What's this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember one very warm afternoon not long after we had returned to the UK we'd gone for a walk at the local pits, now nature reserve. Whilst I was waiting for me he happened to see movement on a yellow VW beetle . We both went to explore to see what out was but it disappeared into the gap between the roof of the car and the upholstery . The gap left by an open sunroof. Not quite knowing what to say to the owners we left a note saying we had seen a snake disappear into the roof. It had been sun bathing on the roof in the afternoon warmth! We left our contact details and pointed out that out was an exotic snake being primarily yellow in colour and that we were familiar with all UK snakes (all 4 of them, so it's not difficult especially given one is technically a lizard not a snake anyway) . they duly rang back asking for more details and precisely where we had seen it go. A second phone call from them a few hours later explained more. Their pet snake had gone missing weeks ago at home and matched the description we had given. It seemed that it had been hiding out in their vehicle all that time but they had managed to tempt it out now they knew out was there but not before having to remove the roof lining of their vehicle.

Snakes are not pets or other reptiles and amphibians for that matter. In order to thrive/survive in captivity, they must be maintained in environments similar to their natural habitats.

Yeah, I know. My son (doing a degree animal management) volunteers in a reptile house which looks after unwanted 'pet' reptiles. They have a lot of snakes. I just wondered if New Zealand had any snakes owned and kept by individuals.

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom