What's your latest home project?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:43 AM
We have an abundance of Mexican day laborers, many of whom are probably here illegally. They are very eager to work. If you pay them better than average, you have a friend. If you pay them well, and feed them, you have a friend for life.

In Frisco, they hang out in front of a convenience store on Main Street. You drive up, make your offer, and drive them to the work site. After they are done, you pay them cash, and drive them back to the parking lot where you picked them up.

CD

Thinking about your armoury I wouldn't even try to break into yours. There's a kiwi over there in Colorado?? That got shot trying to break into a house to see his girlfriend.

Russ

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:43 PM
You drive up, make your offer, and drive them to the work site. After they are done, you pay them cash, and drive them back to the parking lot where you picked them up.
Wouldn't be safe to do in the current pandemic though. I mean the car sharing.

My gardener phoned me and I asked if I wanted to cancel his forthcoming visit, due to current situation in Kent. Given that he doesn't need to come into the house (there is a right of way through the neighbour garden from the street) and I can shout instructions from a distance, I reckon its pretty safe. But I must remember to do an anti bac wipe down of anything he touches that I'm going to touch - like the extension power cable.

Going back to home projects I need to re-hang the bird feeder (or should I say squirrel feeder). It was hanging from a tree branch and the branch fell off. The only thing I can think to do is to put a sturdy nail into the tree in a similar position to where the branch was. To do this I'd need to climb a ladder. I don't feel safe doing that as my legs are weak (due to spinal issues). Maybe I can get the gardener to do it. He has strong ideas about what he is prepared to do and not do so I'll have to ask nicely!

caseydog

Legendary Member
Local time
3:43 PM
You have a truck as well, right? That's what the bed of the truck is for. :wink:
I don't own a truck (I've had several in the past). The truck I mentioned for the drive to Houston was a rental full size pickup. It is better suited for that trip. My MINI is 13 years old, and the CooperS models don't have spare tires (they came with run-flat tires, AKA "run-rocks" because they are very hard). Enthusiasts replace them with good tires, but the tradeoff is hoping you don't get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

CD

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
9:43 PM
I don't own a truck (I've had several in the past). The truck I mentioned for the drive to Houston was a rental full size pickup. It is better suited for that trip. My MINI is 13 years old, and the CooperS models don't have spare tires (they came with run-flat tires, AKA "run-rocks" because they are very hard). Enthusiasts replace them with good tires, but the tradeoff is hoping you don't get a flat in the middle of nowhere.

CD

Mod.edit: A reply to this has been moved the the 'car' thread: see here

Top Bottom