Whelks...

popeye85

Local time
8:48 AM
I have just taken delivery of a whole load of whelks (unasked for but that's a different story!) But I have not a clue about what to do with them! Can someone help?!
Thanks.

I'm not the biggest fan of whelks but do eat them sometimes. They are quite chewy! Have you ever eaten them before?

Nope! Never! But it seems a bit of a waste to just Chuck them though! I know that they are famous for being chewy but also heard that you can cook them a certain way that will reduce this.

OK. I think you need to wash them in several changes of cold water then soak for a few hours in cold water.

Then most recipes suggest boiling in their shells for up to 45 mins. I found one recipe which suggests only cooking for 15 mins to avoid them becoming rubbery. I would try that.

You then need to pick them out of the shells and remove the guts. Its the muscle you eat. You can then slice them up and fry them quickly with garlic. Alternatively, dip pieces in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fry.

Please note I've never cooked them myself! They are a bit similar to abalone - which is much prized in the USA. So it might be worth looking at recipes for abalone.

I'll be interested to know how you get on...

That's fantastic. Cheers.
Have just fished boiling up about 50 velvet crabs so the whelks can wait until morning!

These look quite small for 15 min cook. I only cook whole crayfish for 10 mins once it boils. I think I've had them in Cornwall years ago. I had cockles a well in a cone with vinegar. I liked them.

Russ

I tried buying a pound of whelks at a market when I was visiting Paris in response to a thought that went something like, "These look amazing and intimidating and hence I must try them." Anyway, best of luck with them because what I ended up making with them was not particularly appetizing. Caramelizing minced shallots with lemon and molasses works miracles with clams and mussels but somehow loses its magic with whelks.

Back
Top Bottom