When a recipe calls for 1/2 a cup of herbs...

vernplum

Veteran
Local time
10:03 AM
Recipe I intend to cook says '1/2 cup of fresh Sage, finely chopped'

So is that 1/2 a cup before or after chopping? as it could make a big difference. Take something like parsley for example which is springy and takes up a lot of room when not cut; the same recipe says '1/2 cup minced fresh parsley' - the word order leads me to think that it's 1/2 a cup after it's been chopped.

So is that 1/2 a cup before or after chopping? as it could make a big difference. Take something like parsley for example which is springy and takes up a lot of room when not cut; the same recipe says '1/2 cup minced fresh parsley' - the word order leads me to think that it's 1/2 a cup after it's been chopped.

I always measure my herbs chopped, if using chopped herbs. If I use them whole, I kind of lightly mash them into the measuring scoop so I'm not measuring mostly air.

Let's see what others say.

CD

In my humble opinion, measured chopped.
But you are right, wording is not that precise. They could have added an asterisk...

If the person writing the recipe follows the standard, that would be measured first, just packing the leaves slightly in the measuring cup. It's herbs, it can be slightly over or under and be ok.

Otherwise, they should have written "1/2 cup finely chopped fresh sage." That would mean chop it first, then measure it.

The problem is, with the explosion of food/recipe blogs, a lot of people don't take care in being precise or following standards in their recipe writing.

If the person writing the recipe follows the standard, that would be measured first, just packing the leaves slightly in the measuring cup. It's herbs, it can be slightly over or under and be ok.

Otherwise, they should have written "1/2 cup finely chopped fresh sage." That would mean chop it first, then measure it.

The problem is, with the explosion of food/recipe blogs, a lot of people don't take care in being precise or following standards in their recipe writing.

The above is the way I learned.

1/2 cup chopped parsley means AFTER the parsley is chopped.

1/2 cup parsley, chopped means lightly packed BEFORE the parsley is chopped.

Same thing with nuts.

Bingo, a winner.

Back
Top Bottom