When to add clotted cream to scones?

Shadow

Sommelier
Local time
1:36 AM
storrington; via montreal, horsham, toronto
Reading the 'Saying hello' thread reminded me of this.
Do you spread (or dollop in my case!) clotted cream (c/c) onto the scone first and then add jam or do you put jam on and then c/c?

I go with no butter, c/c and jam in that order but feel I am probably in the minority. (Don't need butter and c/c as it adds another flavour, which is unnecessary).

Mostly c/c then jam, but occasionally the other way round. (I'm odd like that :wacky: )

For reasons I don't quite understand, possibly something to do with when the fat from the cream coats the mouth, the 2 ways do taste different. (Yes, I am using the same type of jam :p: )

Jam, then cream.

But, butter, then jam.

Rare, but if all three, then butter, then jam, then cream.

Purely on the basis of which is easier to balance on which.

Isn't one the Devon version of a cream tea and t'other Cornish? Or something like that?

Personally, I prefer cheese scones and would rather have clotted cream with a big bowl of fresh strawberries :hungry:

When I could eat cream it was cream, then jam, then throw away the scone....

Remember when we found Lactofree cream and had it with scones?

You were like the cat that got the cream, literally!

(and I seem to remember the bowl we whipped it up in was suspiciously clean after you'd served up. Almost like someone had licked it.... :wink:)

(and I seem to remember the bowl we whipped it up in was suspiciously clean after you'd served up. Almost like someone had licked it.... :wink:)
Yebbut the cream and jam were the best bits.:D

Yebbut the cream and jam were the best bits.:D

Dairy free scone recipe is now in the recipes section. fresh batch was made yesterday. didn't make it the freezer. OH came home happy as anything then spotted the scones. took a while to get him off the ceiling, threatened to freeze the scones. Out of 8, there is 1 left for me today! Good thing there is only around 125 Kcalories per scone and that he had cycled 22 miles!

Jam goes on last for me :) I sometimes have them plain though, i like tasting the fruit properly :)

Jam then cream, no butter. I don't really do clotted cream, but I do enjoy it on a scone now and then. Traditionally, it should be plain scones, but I prefer the ones with the fruit in myself. My husband hails from Devon, where they put the cream first and then the jam, but he's happy to have it either way, as long as there is as much cream as the scone can hold, and then some.

I found this article about Devon's attempt to get cream teas recognised as a regional delicacy. It seems they take it quite seriously down in the South West.

Thanks to some odd leftovers at work this week, we discovered the joy that is...

Hobnobs with clotted cream!

Just spread a dollop of clotted cream on a plain Hobnob. Heaven!

Back
Top Bottom