Where can I find a besan flour?

Bakemehappy

Veteran
Local time
11:13 PM
I need to find a besan flour for my experiment I think the main ingredients of this flour is chick peas. The flour goes with different names but the one that stick in my memory is besan from an Indian cuisine. I am not sure if I want to make it from scratch maybe it will be easier if I buy the flour. Any idea where I can find one or is there a good substitute? I will use it to make a churros .

I've seen it in a local health food shop ,so that's a good start
Churros , seems to have come very popular over the last few years , we've had a really good on portobello market they do the festivals as well

I need to find a besan flour for my experiment I think the main ingredients of this flour is chick peas. The flour goes with different names but the one that stick in my memory is besan from an Indian cuisine. I am not sure if I want to make it from scratch maybe it will be easier if I buy the flour. Any idea where I can find one or is there a good substitute? I will use it to make a churros .
Oh, I thought churros were made with choux pastry. Wouldn't besan flour make them rather heavy? Anyway, I use besan flour to make flat breads and to thicken curry sauces. Its easy to get in the UK from Asian grocers and leading supermarkets also stock it. But I don't know about in the US. Its also known as gram flour or garbanzo flour. Quick search revealed this at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/KeHe-Dist...-FLOUR-GARBANZO-BEAN-Pack-of-4-16-OZ/38444654. This seems quite expensive compared to UK prices.

I never heard of a chick pea or besan flour. I mean whole foods has everything but of course they are so expensive. However, they may have one of the things that you are looking for. Make certain that you get what you need, You could probably even order it from Amazon, they have everything as well.. It is one of the quality things to note about them, and I hope you can find it affordably.

Oh, I thought churros were made with choux pastry. Wouldn't besan flour make them rather heavy? Anyway, I use besan flour to make flat breads and to thicken curry sauces. Its easy to get in the UK from Asian grocers and leading supermarkets also stock it. But I don't know about in the US. Its also known as gram flour or garbanzo flour. Quick search revealed this at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/KeHe-Dist...-FLOUR-GARBANZO-BEAN-Pack-of-4-16-OZ/38444654. This seems quite expensive compared to UK prices.

I am trying to experiment and I want to use besan and yes they call it gram flour too. I read about chi chi fregis and they use this kind of flour but I am not going to make chi chi fregis I will try it on a churro. I am not sure yet about the result on its consistency and texture but it is good you gave me a bit of a heads up there. This flour is indeed expensive.

It is only expensive if you purchase it in ½ or 1kg packs. I buy it in a 5 kg bag which costs me £7.50 including delivery, so I don't count that as expensive. I buy it from an online Indian or Asian supermarket that also has a physical supermarket in Bradford, UK. I would suggest that if you do decide you like it, that you look for somewhere/something similar.

Back
Top Bottom