Where do you stand on eggs?

Local time
6:50 PM
Website
www.helium.com
Not literally of course - if you stand on eggs you'll break them! I mean do you see eggs as a healthy food option or something best avoided? Over the years, eggs have been both saints and villains nutrition wise. At the moment they're in favour, but some people still don't think eating eggs is healthy eating.

I always keep some hard boiled eggs in the fridge for a quick healthy snack, and we make a meal of an omelette and salad every couple of weeks or so. Eggs are a good protein source, and they're low in fat and calories, so I don't have a problem including four or five eggs in my weekly diet.

What about you? Do you serve up eggs, or avoid them?

I have no problem with eggs at all. Given that chickens have been a backyard inhabitant for centuries, the population has eaten a fair amount of them and come to no harm...

That said, I don't always have them in. I buy half a dozen, use 3 or 4 in quick succession, the rest over the next month or so, forget to get any more for weeks, then remember and start the whole cycle again... :wink:

Oddly we're never without eggs. Always have a box in the fridge. Free range too.

Even more oddly we hardly ever eat them! :laugh:

My wife likes to have them in - in case we need them - but as they're not a regular part of our diet I regularly find myself removing the old box, binning them, and filling the empty space in the fridge with the new box.

I've tried challenging this logic with my own "it's waste" logic but so far I haven't managed to convince her that we can live without buying eggs every few weeks!! :)

I've given up trying now - she's the boss and we both know it so ... problem solved. :roflmao:

I eat eggs Every day for breakfast. Two ducks eggs poached with grilled asparagus.
It's a healthy dippy eggs a soldiers :)
I was advised to have it by my nutritionist as its high in protein and a great source of vitamins

i get a tray of free range eggs every week and also a dozen moran eggs from a neighbour ,eat a lot of omelettes and we pickle eggs if we get a back log,my wife does cakes for the local oldies and so we tend to use most of them
i would be careful with the under cooked duck eggs ,such as poaching due to the ducks limited salmonella defence it has been said to cook them well!!!

Love them and always have them in the fridge. For me they are a really good source of protein and come in their own packaging which makes for a great cycling food. We eat all types, love duck eggs but normally they are too expensive to buy and my friend has stopped having ducks that lay. Also love the 'oddities' in the way of eggs, including those with blue shells which are really tasty. Supermarket ones are avoided where possible, they have little to no taste and small yolks by comparison so will often pick them up from the 'side of the road' stalls which we get a lot of around here.

As for not using them - that's not a problem, we are usually out of them by the end of a week and 6 is never enough, so its not uncommon to find a pack of 9 new ones plus 1 or 2 from the previous week in our fridge. (We ignore the dates on them, though in all honesty they never last long enough, and use the floating test to check their 'freshness'.)

When we are on tour, it is not uncommon for us to eat 3 each every day. At home, we tend to get through about 9 a week between us.

I came across a recycling box the other day with two egg boxes in it. One of 4 and one of 9. I wondered if the person had come across a recipe that demanded exactly 13 eggs, or whether they had some form of OCD that meant they could only buy eggs in square numbers!

I came across a recycling box the other day with two egg boxes in it. One of 4 and one of 9. I wondered if the person had come across a recipe that demanded exactly 13 eggs, or whether they had some form of OCD that meant they could only buy eggs in square numbers!

Some of the retailers are now selling eggs in smaller packs (like a pack of 4) for single people and have also now got a range of 'any sized eggs' in a pack of 9 which is usually what we buy. If I get 9 we usually get through the week without running out, if I get 6 we will run out. They are also cheaper in 9's because of the 'any size' rather than a guarenteed medium size.

Another fan of eggs here - great for baking and love them in curries, as a snack with noodles etc or scrambled. Very versatile.

I eat a lot of eggs - I think I eat too many but have no supporting evidence for that point of view except everything in moderation

Back
Top Bottom