Where does your food come from?

They are huge, and have long hair. I know my first reaction waas, "look at the size of those sheep."
That's weird because I've always considered British sheep to be small! You should see the size of the merino before they are sheared. They are huge sheep by UK standards, yet here no one bats an eyelid over their size!

Edit: Right back to driving... (I was having lunch, to be posted later).

Our neighbors had sheep, I used to love them because they were so soft. Sheep here aren't for eating, they're for shearing.

Goats are huge here right now, but as pets as much as anything. Everybody around here wants to play pretend farmer, they get a goat and a couple of chickens, throw them in their suburban backyard, read Mother Earth News online, go to the farmer's market once a week, then tell everybody how they're living their real life. They're not farming, they just have a very small petting zoo. :)

I did want to clear up earlier that we do have plenty of dairy operations in the state, just not around where I live.

Goats are big here in Texas, too -- especially in Central Texas. Goat farmers there get "Guardian Llamas." Female Llamas apparently "adopt" goats readily. Coyotes, Bobcats and other Texas natural predators do not, apparently, fare will against Llamas.

CD

Female Llamas apparently "adopt" goats readily. Coyotes, Bobcats and other Texas natural predators do not, apparently, fare will against Llamas
Alpacas are used as guardian animals here in Australia. Its a case of them defending their territory rather than the actual prey animals though because if a chicken or goat or sheep wanders outside of the alpacas' territory it is fair game to the prey and won't be defended. If it comes back into the defined area, it will be defended to the death. (eagles with +2m wing span are common here, plus the usual predators). Alpaca wool is also very common.

Likewise, I'm thinking your best cod and haddock are not abundant in the Mediterranean, so is there a good harvest of cold water fish moving South to France and Spain? Do people in France and Spain even care about cod and haddock?

Huge amounts of fish are shipped from the UK to Spain - if you eat langoustines in Spain they will almost certainly come from Scotland. Its a great shame, but the British don't eat nearly as much seafood as they do in Spain and the rest of Europe.

A parliamentary report published today has found that some 75 per cent of fish caught in the UK is exported, mostly to the European Union

Apparently the most exported fish from the UK is mackerel.

More mackerels and fewer prawns for Britons

Goats are big here in Texas, too -- especially in Central Texas. Goat farmers there get "Guardian Llamas." Female Llamas apparently "adopt" goats readily. Coyotes, Bobcats and other Texas natural predators do not, apparently, fare will against Llamas.

CD
We do have a load of alpacas or llamas or whatever they are around; there are several small farms within 20 miles or so of my house. I've kind of forgotten about them. I assume people are using them for their hair.

. here everything has a stamp on it that tells you what percentage Australian it is. Most stuff is proudly stamped 100% Australian Made or 100% Australia ingredients, Grown and Made entirely in Australia and so on. (I'll see if i can find some examples when i get home).
This is the sort of thing I mean

I'm incredibly lucky where I am. Up on the west coast of Scotland the seafood is absolutely second to none! As to the rest of it then the meat is all locally raised and done in a way and in a environment that produces a extremely high quality of meat. The other speciality up here is venison which is made from wild red deer taken straight from the mountains and as I get it direct from the ghille I know not only the source but also can rest in the knowledge it was killed humanly.

I'm incredibly lucky where I am. Up on the west coast of Scotland the seafood is absolutely second to none! As to the rest of it then the meat is all locally raised and done in a way and in a environment that produces a extremely high quality of meat. The other speciality up here is venison which is made from wild red deer taken straight from the mountains and as I get it direct from the ghille I know not only the source but also can rest in the knowledge it was killed humanly.

You are lucky indeed. Is there any issue with sourcing any of this in the present Corona virus?

Back
Top Bottom