Where were you?

Thatchers resignation I was in the 6th form, and we'd just sat down in the best chippy for lunch - when the news came on the TV. I live in an ex (thanks to Thatcher), mining community. It was a big deal.

September 11th I was in work, paying agricultural grants to beef farmers. Someone had been up to the canteen and saw it on the TV, came down and announced it on TV, it wasn't until the commute home that the full horror was unfolded for me.

Princess Diana was just over a month after I got married. I'd had a long lie in so was late turning on the TV. My husband was working overtime attending a country fair - just as I was trying to phone my parent to see if they heard my husband walked in - absolutely incensed - the show had been cancelled because of the tragedy and he'd lost a whole day of triple pay overtime.

I was in my truck driving home from my mums, when it came on the radio that Diana had died,we were in shock. Oddly enough we were in Paris a year to the day she died, the flowers at the entrance of the tunnel were unbelievable. It showed how she was loved by everybody.

Russ

Too young for most of it...
9/11 I was at work, we had an American head of department who had friends working in one of the towers so it very quickly stopped the entire office working and it was turned on on the TV in the canteen. Very little else happened that day.
Princess Diana, I woke up to the news the following day at 'home'.
Margret Thatcher, no idea, I would have still been very young, but also grew up in an ex-mining community so the impact was known to me.

Back
Top Bottom