Which herb(s) do you use the most?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:20 PM
Do you crave coriander (cilantro)? Perhaps basil is your best buddy or parsley is your perfect pal. Does thyme tickle your fancy? Which herb(s) do you find yourself using the most?

Basil and cilantro are probably neck and neck in our house.

Both very are aromatic and good used fresh over the top of dishes. I recently cooked @Steven Lockhart's Manadonese Spicy Stewed Chicken which calls for lots of basil to be cooked into the dish at the end. I'd never used basil in this way before but it certainly works.

I have a huge bunch of coriander in the fridge and I'm thinking of ideas for cooking it rather than using it as a garnish/topping or in a salsa type thing.

I love fresh thyme and always have loads of it growing in the garden.
I guess next comes rosemary. Again I have several bushes.
Parsley and coriander come a joint third, they reside permanently in the freezer, ready chopped.
Otherwise winter savoury is also a close third but my bush needs to grow much larger before I can use much of it.

Are hops (fermented with other ingredients) deemed to be an herb? :drink:
Use a lot of dried oregano (Greek & Mexican), cilantro, fresh thyme (when the plants aren't frozen), fresh rosemary,
bit of fresh curly & flat leaf Italian parsley, basil (freeze excess in jars), sage (a pinch of wild desert sage Artemesia tridentata is wonderful in bannock!)

Last edited:
If you work it out by the number of different dishes I use it in then I would say bay is the one I use most - we have a tree in the garden so its just a case of snipping off what I need :giggle:
I also grow rosemary, sage, thyme, oregano, chives and mint - these all get used a lot too. I love fresh parsley and coriander stirred through dishes at the end, but I really struggle to grow it: it either doesn't grow at all or it bolts! Luckily Waitrose do great packs of them chopped and frozen - so convenient!

I am using a lot of herbs in my dishes and of course, this is one of the most important parts of the good dish. I have a wild range of herbs some of them I think is not so common in the UK. All of the dry herbs that I use are imported from Bulgaria and it growing in the garden of my Mam, but I definitely prefer fresh herbs some of them growing in my garden and my favourites Basil, parsley, rosemary and this one Trigonella foenum-graecum (Сминдух- this is the name of Bulgarian. This one savoury- Чубрица. Also for a lot of dishes I use this one джоджен-this is some kind of menth, but the aroma of this herbs is different and not so strong, I use it a lot. Number one for me is a fresh Basil.

Coriander (and more coriander).

028.jpg

Although with the recent availability of fresh parsley here I am using the latter more and more.

Oregano and mint for certain dishes.

That's fenugreek in English. A delicious herb which I can sometimes buy fresh at a local Asian shop. I use the seeds a lot in Curries.

I wouldn't think of cooking a curry without fenugreek seeds. I also have some dried methi leaves sent from India but I think they may be past it by now, I used to use them in balti potatoes.

baltipots.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't think of cooking a curry without fenugreek seeds. I also have some dried methi leaves sent from India but I think they may be past it by now, I used to use them in balti potatoes.

If you haven't tried fresh methi (fenugreek leaves) in curry then you really must. Could you possibly plant some of the seeds in a little pot to see if they germinate?

Flat leaf parsley, basil, savory, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and cilantro (fresh coriander).

I've also been using an Herb de Provence blend very often lately that I bought at an Amish farmer's market. It is heavy on the lavender and has added fennel seeds which makes it very floral and sweet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom