Which Poultry Do You Prefer?

pafjlh

Local time
4:33 PM
There are different types of fowl as many of us know. The most common though would be Chicken and Turkey. So, of the two which one do you prefer to cook or eat? To be honest I would have to say that I prefer Turkey over Chicken.

But guess which one I eat more then the other? Yes that would be Chicken. Why, because it the cheapest and most accessible in the fresh form. Turkey isn't easy to come by for the most part in grocery stores that I go to except in the fall, and don't need to go into why now do I. Anyway, to reaffirm by above question which fowl do you prefer to cook with or eat with.

I prefer turkey for its flavor, but chicken for its size and lower price. Chicken is about the only meat I buy because it is less expensive than other meats like beef so I can afford to get good quality meat.

I also enjoyed quail very much the time I was able to have it, but that is very exotic and expensive, so I doubt I will ever have it again. It was a real treat at a fancy restaurant.

I prefer chicken. Where I live now fresh chicken breasts are rather inexpensive and taste very good. I think they are also so versatile and work in so many different recipes. The turkey here is always frozen and injected with some sort of solutions so I only buy it on holidays.

What I do like and think are fun to cook are little cornish hens. They are easy to cook and look really elegant. They are my easy "fancy" meal.

If you want to choose the healthier option, choose Turkey. It has lesser fat, and higher protein compared to chicken.

Chicken is probably more accessible and it sure is cheaper in the country I'm from, so our family usually gets chicken breast as our healthy option, but Turkey is still the better option. I would choose Turkey if I had a choice to eat poultry.

Turkey is very good, and goes well with most any dish that chicken could help out as well. Failing the higher nutrient values and different vitamins it gives, it's a more cleaner meat. Turkey is often free-range (90% of the time) and tastes better then a cooped up chicken forced to live it's life on top of another chicken in a pen where thousands of them just wait to get the axe. Failing Turkey, I like Chicken just due to the ease of access and the fact that 50% of meat meals around here call for it. I find myself substituting turkey more and more however.

Turkey is only really available in the UK around Christmas, so always chicken. I prefer thigh meat to breast if I'm doing stir fries or pies as it has more flavour, and happily is cheaper. Duck would be my favourite though.

That sucks, I had no idea Turkey had that rough a time over there. It's so plentiful over here I would call it the cheaper alternative to chicken (and healthier to boot!). Duck is frigging good when you prepare it right too. A good roast duck can't be beaten if you braise with a citrus glaze.

That sucks, I had no idea Turkey had that rough a time over there. It's so plentiful over here I would call it the cheaper alternative to chicken (and healthier to boot!). Duck is frigging good when you prepare it right too. A good roast duck can't be beaten if you braise with a citrus glaze.
Turkey is of course a North American bird and only came to Europe really in the last crentury. Traditionally Britsh Christmas feasts would feature Goose, but turkey has taken over thanks to its size and lower cost

I don't think the turkeys have a rougher time, only being eaten once a year! I think it's rougher being eaten all year round! :wink:

Although I see turkey joints and diced meat all year round in our local supermarket. I know TVC tends to be a bit more upmarket than us, so maybe good butchers don't stock turkey all year round.

I prefer chicken but indeed turkey is much superior in taste. However turkey is not very popular in our place. We always used chicken for our dishes here. We only uses turkey for very special occasion such as Christmas or New Year.

For a plainer chicken dish I would go for poulet Bresse,or a maise fed bird,I do like guinea fowel,some say it's a game but it's only bred in captivity in the uk,and a good free range Turkey for festive celebrations but needs a lot of care to cook

I prefer turkey and when I do eat chicken it is mostly the white meat that I eat. I don't care for the dark meat of the chicken.

I see we have quite a few Turkey lovers here. I feel like I spoke to this before but I am going with the chicken. It's easier to prepare for me. While I often have turkey( have some left overs in the fridge) I especially don't like to prepare a whole turkey. It takes so much out of me sort of. I will definitely eat them both but chicken takes the cake for me.

Actually for taste it's goose [sadly we don't have it much now as with only two of us there is usually far too much to a goose]. Followed by duck and then chicken - We both find turkey can be dry unless a lot of care is used in cooking.

It is always chicken for us Filipinos because we grew up with chicken. Turkey is alien to us. But wait, there is a farm somewhere in the north that raises ostriches. Yes, the big bird. That farm is now selling ostrich meat at a cheaper price now, about $10 per kilo. I still have to taste it although friends who had tried said it tasted like chicken. Whoa, chicken? So I would just eat chicken then.

Back
Top Bottom