Which spices don't you have?

I've just run out of mustard seeds which is annoying as I'm cooking lots of currys at the moment. Sorting out my jars of spices is a task I have on my list for this period of isolation so I'll see what I do and don't have. That gives me an idea for a thread...

Too bad I can't send you some. I bought bulk brown and yellow mustard seed for the mustard challenge a while back. It was actually cheaper to buy in bulk off Amazon rather than buying small amounts at the grocery.

Sumac. I don't have any, but would like to give it a try.

mjb.

Try looking at a middle east market.

Do you have to be in isolation and can't get out at all?

Which mustard seeds did you want - brown or yellow?
Not in total isolation, but I don't drive and the Asian shop is too far and I don't think mustard need shopping falls under the category of necessary travel of public transport :wink:
It's the brown ones I'm after and I've seen I can get some from amazon for £1.70ish so I'll get on to that tomorrow once I've checked for anything else I'm missing.

I have no problem obtaining the spices that I normally use. However, that may be because I only cook dishes which include the spices which are generally available.

Here's my total list of spices and dried herbs:

Allspice (ground)
Bay leaves
Caraway seed
Cardamom (ground)
Celery seed
Chili powder
Ancho chili powder
Chinese Five Spice
Cinnamon (ground)
Cinnamon (stick)
Coriander (ground)
Cumin seed
Dill weed
Herbs de Provence
Italian seasoning
Garlic powder
Garlic salt
Ginger (ground)
Mace
Marjoram leaves
Mustard (ground)
Oregano leaves
Paprika
Black pepper
Red pepper (crushed)
White pepper
Pumpkin pie spice
Tarragon leaves
Thyme leaves
Cayenne pepper
Celery salt
Cloves (whole)
Curry powder
Fennel seed
Garam masala
Juniper berries
Dried onion (minced)
Smoked paprika
Parsley flakes
Poultry seasoning
Rosemary (crushed)
Sage (rubbed)
Seasoned salt
Cream of Tartar
Turmeric

Some are in a cabinet, some are in this spice rack we got as a wedding gift (30 years ago in May):

If I can get Craig to help me later by calling out the names, I'll list ours. Right now, I know we have everything TastyReuben listed, plus off top of head whole and ground spices of some that he listed as ground only, plus we have a couple more ground chile peppers, porcini mushroom powder, fennel pollen (which I'll be using tonight as a finish), sumac, hot and sweet smoked paprikas, as well as regular. Most are in magnetic jars on refrigerator plus we have 3 plastic boxes to store the rest.

No juniper berries or pumpkin pie spice but I have others you havnt mentioned. I even have a draw full of extra spices etc, like I thought I was out of cumin seeds on Saturday, so I went to my backup draw. Extra pack of seeds there, I use lots of cumin coriander and fennel seeds. So I dry roasted seeds and ground to refill my container.

Russ

I've got 50 jars and packs of herbs and spices in my spice drawer plus a back up of about half a dozen which I use frequently. That number doesn't include baharat and my favourite victorian curry powder, both of which I've run out of at the moment. I did have some freshly made harissa but forgot to put the bottle back in the freezer last Summer and it went mouldy. The local supermarket is out of chilli and a lot of the more common spices used in curries, so I'm using some of them sparingly.

I’m in Sydney for work M-F and so I’m able to get most things quite easily & in bulk. Have years worth of fennel, cumin & coriander seeds.

right now I’m out of saffron and I’m having trouble getting to my “by weight “ spice supplier to get good smoked paprika. The supermarket stuff is not up to scratch.

What about blends? I buy quite a few Shan branded curry blends. I used to be a snob about it but then Indian friends convinced me to try them.

Back
Top Bottom