Who cleans your oven?

Wow, so many issues from a simple question.
I worked as a Kitchen Designer for Lowe's. The appliance department was my "sister" department. I was expected to cover when the sales associates were busy, on break, at lunch or anytime coverage was needed. I learned a lot about appliances.
Foil on the bottom of the oven - under the electric element - a no do.
Prior to learning better that is what I did.
Chemicals - buyer beware. Check your owner's manual. So you lost it - look it up on line. Only use chemicals recommended by the manufacturer. Oven cleaners are highly alkaline. It will burn your skin, make your eyes water and have a negative impact on your respiratory system. Always wear chemical proof gloves and a chemical face mask - not the ones we wear now when out in public.
Our house is all electric. :headshake:I grew up cooking on a gas range. I would love to have a dual fuel range. Gas cook top and electric oven.
We had a wood burning fireplace and converted it to a gas (LPG) log fireplace. Every winter we place a large LPG tank next to the outside wall and heat the living areas with the fireplace. We recently talked about bringing in a natural gas line or burying a propane tank to provide gas to the fireplace and enable me to have a dual fuel range. Too many $$$$.
My Niece and her sweet husband recently moved into a new home. He is a former line chef at Brennon's in Houston. The kitchen was his to design. His initial choice was a Viking Dual fuel range. He changed his mind about the manufacturer. IDK what brand he purchased. I think it is a 46" dual fuel. double oven range. Whatever. I can not wait to see his kitchen. Talk about a dream kitchen.
My previous rang was a 4 burner coil burner range. 36" wide. The oven was small - two racks. A few years ago we purchased a new range. The same size. 5 burner glass top. The 5th burner is a warmer. Love it and use it. One of the small burners has a melt setting. The oven is much bigger and has 3 racks. I still long for a dual fuel range. I like cooking with gas.

Foil on the bottom of the oven - under the electric element - a no do.

Agreed! I don't do that. I put foil on the lower oven rack, between the food and the element. That's no different than putting a sheet pan of cookies on the bottom rack. I'm sure the oven manufacturers determined a safe distance for the bottom rack when they designed the oven.

CD

Gas has other benefits, such as much better control over heat.

CD
I've said for years that I prefer gas hobs for the controllability..but having now changed to induction I'd never go back to gas. Its just as controllable as gas, more energy efficient, and much easier to clean. I wish I'd made the change years ago!

I've said for years that I prefer gas hobs for the controllability..but having now changed to induction I'd never go back to gas. Its just as controllable as gas, more energy efficient, and much easier to clean. I wish I'd made the change years ago!

Yes, induction is a great alternative to gas for people who don't have access to gas in the kitchen -- like me. When I can afford it, I plan to replace my electric/ceramic cooktop with an induction cooktop.

CD

Back
Top Bottom