Who is ready for the Fourth of July?

Holding off on plans. Have two of the kids that will be home for it. Another is pregnant and will be due anytime next week. Another usually makes plans with friends but may come

Having fun looking at new-to-me dishes...
Coffee rubbed ribs in cola sauce
Watermelon and lime shrimp salad
Ice cream parfaits - layers of vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, sliced strawberries, blueberries, whipped cream on top.
Wisconsin butter burgers (lots of butter)
Open to more ideas.

Last edited:
I thought the oyster was the singular triangular glob of meat at the bottom of the backbone (tail area).

As @MrsDangermouse says - that sounds like 'The Parson's Nose' (the bit at the top of this image)

Joint-1-1000x1000.jpg

Sounds like a good idea for a thread. Chicken anatomy 101. Lol.
Wont be using any of those parts in a spatchcocked chicken. Don't care for them. btw, you can ask the butcher to spatchcock it for you, if you like. He can keep the parts you don't use. Hopefully, the video helped re the backbone question. Imo the chicken cooks more quickly and evenly when the backbone is removed (spatchcocked/butterflied), & makes a nice presentation. Thinking about either a chimichurri sauce, or putting thin slices of lemon under the skin and rubbing with oil/butter and herbs.

Last edited:
As @MrsDangermouse says - that sounds like 'The Parson's Nose' (the bit at the top of this image)

View attachment 28968

When our son was about 12 he was hanging around wanting something to eat while I was cutting the roast chicken up, I gave him the parsons nose, he ate it, then his older sister started having him on and told him he ate the chickens bum, we all laughed except the son. He's nearly 40 now and he still gets called chicken bum eater!!

Russ

It is what the name of it implies. Sort of like the backbone in humans. And it depends on how the chicken is cut up. As kids, we did not like that part because it has very little or no meat there. We used to get mad because it was often given to us while others got some meat from the chicken.

If you cut it straight down the middle, there will be no backbone. If you just break off all of the parts, before cutting them off, & cut through the rib cage, there will be one. I very eldom cut up a chicken. I buy it already cut up. A whole chicken, I leave whole for roasting it. I used to just save that part for the stock pot to make stock. :wink:

I didn't mind getting the backbone or the area of meat around it... it saved me from having to pretend to like the dried out breast portions, Although yes, I preferred the thigh best of all.

The thigh has way too much fat in it!! I'd have to clean all that out, & that is why I won't buy it. Too fatty to clean, too much fat to eat, so I just leave it there & don't waste my time with it!! :headshake:

Back
Top Bottom