Who is ready for the Fourth of July?

I once went to the harbor in East Boston the see the display on the evening of the fourth. They already had it & the Boston Police had it closed so damn early!! I was pissed!! So mad that I lost my voice & couldn't speak!! :mad::headshake:

Usually it is grilling, but in my experience, what is grilled will vary. And there will be salads along side. Unfortunately a lot of macaroni salads or very mayo-laden potato salads, depending on where you go. Corn on the cob, however, is always welcome (to me). Best grilling is home-made burgers (meat and/or veggie - AND the veggie ones should be real, rather than pretending to taste like meat), and cut-up chicken that doesn't skimp on the dark meat. Yes, I even prefer the backbone to the breast, especially grilled! The corn typically is wrapped in foil and will generally end up on the grill, too.

A few places I've been.... grilled veggie shish kebabs. I can definitely go there!

Last edited:
That was my grandmother's favorite part she said, though I think she might have said that so rest of family could have other parts. However, there are a couple of nice nuggets of meat around the "hip" area.

That was my grandmother's favorite part she said, though I think she might have said that so rest of family could have other parts. However, there are a couple of nice nuggets of meat around the "hip" area.

Still don't know what it is! Surely its just a bone?

We call it the oyster , two treats.

Russ

The oysters are a gourmet treat - but are not the backbone - the oysters are the two round pieces lying either side of the backbone (which in the video posted by @Karen W, have not been removed).

Oysters:

D5fjb8N.jpg

What is 'backbone' of chicken. I've never heard of that as an edible part. :unsure:

It is what the name of it implies. Sort of like the backbone in humans. And it depends on how the chicken is cut up. As kids, we did not like that part because it has very little or no meat there. We used to get mad because it was often given to us while others got some meat from the chicken.

If you cut it straight down the middle, there will be no backbone. If you just break off all of the parts, before cutting them off, & cut through the rib cage, there will be one. I very eldom cut up a chicken. I buy it already cut up. A whole chicken, I leave whole for roasting it. I used to just save that part for the stock pot to make stock. :wink:

Last edited:
So the backbone removed in the video is sometimes cooked and served separately?[/QUOTE
Save it for stock if you like.There' very little meat on it, particularly in the 2 1/2 lb bird he used in the video. Your call. Or let the butcher cut it up, & let him keep or discard the backbone.

I thought the oyster was the single triangular shaped glob of meat at the bottom end of the backbone (tail).

Back
Top Bottom