Who likes okra?

the old southern way of cooking okra is fading into history , its a way to fry okra thats not deep fried but rather pan fried
its not slimy at all ( if ) its done right , tastes much better than the deep fried version , but there is almost an art to cooking it properly and it seems the younger generations don't have the time or interest to learn

Yeah, I'm an impatient 61-year-old. :laugh: I've never heard anyone around these parts shallow frying okra. Perhaps that is a Colorado thing. Cooking does change from region to region.

CD

no its not a colorado thing , i'm from the deep south only been living here for about 25 years , the only ones that i have ever seen make it this way were at least as old as me , (66) most were much older , a couple of years ago a freind was visiting from Or. and she claimed she didn't like okra so i made it for her ( she went nuts for it ) after she finished all that i made that day she asked if i would teach her how to make it the next day , i did and she still calls from time to time and never fails to mention that she is still making it

I love okra. I learned it from Indian cooking, where it´s also a favourite. I slit the okra in two, lengthwise, fry them unil browned a bit, then add the rest of the veg/spices, etc. There´s also a Pakistani recipe where you slice them into 1/2" rounds, slather them in hot chile pepper and salt, and deep fry them until crispy.

okra get a bad rap because its slimy when boiled or otherwise not cooked properly, i even use it as a seasoning for certain kinds of peas, i will drop 2-3 whole pods into the peas while they are cooking and then remove them when the peas finish cooking , it adds a great flavor to the peas

okra get a bad rap because its slimy when boiled or otherwise not cooked properly, i even use it as a seasoning for certain kinds of peas, i will drop 2-3 whole pods into the peas while they are cooking and then remove them when the peas finish cooking , it adds a great flavor to the peas
It's not just the slime. I grew up in Florida with parents (and grandparents, aunts, and uncles) who were from SE Texas, and okra appeared on my plate (or bowl of gumbo and such) many, many times, with other family members raving about it. It definitely was cooked properly given the expertise of those who prepared it (who made other foods I just adore), I just don't like anything about it, the taste, texture, nothing about okra appeals to me. Believe me, I gave it a fair chance several times and it's like spoiled milk: it doesn't get better (to me) with time. I feel the same way about liver and sweet potatoes. I know I am the odd one out and I don't think other people are wrong for loving it.

Back
Top Bottom