Who made you "Chef"?

Wilson Wade

Veteran
Local time
10:26 AM
The word "Chef" is always associated to cooking usually a cook in fancy restaurants or Hotels. recently The word "chef' invaded the sport of basketball with Chef Curry(Steph Curry) who is always cooking hot and Chef James (James Harde) who always stirs the pot(basketball fans will understand the Chef reference lol) Any way in our homes you or your partner are the chefs, cooking is usually Mom and Pop joint.. Now how did you learn to cook? did you study? did someone teach you? what is your specialty dish?

I must be the 'chef' in my family. Can't remember being taught but always watched my mom as a child and then I believe I just wanted to be a great cook like I thought she was. When I was younger I actually thought she was the best cook in the world. In my early teens I made my first dish and I've been at it ever since. I don't know I have a specialty dish.....too many to mention:wink:.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ever call myself a chef. Just an enthusiastic cook. Like most non-professionals I learned from all manner of experiences: parents, friends, partners, books, magazines,TV shows, the internet. Speciality dish? Like @winterybella, I have too many. Perhaps curry.

I don't pretend to be anything other than someone who cooks at home. Im not a chef and neither is Mr WD. For me, learning to cook was trial and error. I had to learn to cook after I got married and had children. Simples. If something turned out all right then great. If not, the it was back to the drawing board.

I wouldn't ever call myself a chef. Just an enthusiastic cook. Like most non-professionals I learned from all manner of experiences: parents, friends, partners, books, magazines,TV shows, the internet. Speciality dish? Like @winterybella, I have too many. Perhaps curry.

I would call you a 'chef' as far as this forum goes. I know the real chefs might not see it the same way as they obviously might take it more seriously but I am crowning you one of our top chefs.:chef::chef:

What's the difference between a cook and a chef ?
Then decide who made you chef!
Do you run a business

I have to confess that I am not the chef in the house but my husband. He learned cooking by oido or just feeling how the dish was cooked. Maybe you can call that natural culinary talent. And he cooks well such that from 120 pounds I am now 160 pounds, hahahaaah. What I like in our chef is he cooks food that I want and he never fails to consult me although I usually reply with "surprise me" whenever asked. Another good thing is the balanced diet with chicken and other meat interspersed with fish and vegetables.

I think it was probably my Nonna that got me interested in food and cooking. She was the epitome of the Italian grandma - food was all about family, food was a way of expressing love, of caring for people when they were upset, of celebrating - it did so much. Her passion for it made me passionate about it, and I think it still is a way of me expressing myself.

My husband is the chef in our family. He learned to cook from is Grandmother who raised him. He started cooking at a very young age because his grandma was elderly and not able to do it anymore. He immediately had a passion for it. He is really good at it. His cooking is amazing. I learned to cook on my own I guess. I did watch my mom cooking but I never really cooked with her. She didn't really like anybody in her kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom