Who uses a flour sifter?

I get the other stuff but the flour never looks lumpy to me.
Maybe one person's lump is another person’s clump! :laugh:

Maybe one person's lump is another person’s clump! :laugh:View attachment 89048
It seems to depend on how long the flour has been hanging around. When I was bread making each day or every other day, I didn't need to sift flour. But we've stopped eating anywhere near that amount of bread and I'm not using much flour. Since then, it does need sifting despite being stored on mason jars to keep it airtight and few from the every present damp that our plot as become since the drought broke 2½ years ago.

I use icing sugar that infrequently that I always end up either buying a new container or actually making my own (set quantity). The rest doesn't seem to need it as much. Cocoa powder doesn't really feature much in my life, baking powder seems OK, mustard powder didn't really need it, chickpea flour does benefit from it, and my wholemeal flour ends up sifted and the contents of the sieve mixed back in at the end! It will be half full of 'chaff' and the bowl full of white flour!

I've never ever sieved flour. My mom did back in the 70s when she baked cakes. I do own the 3 sieves, though, and they have various uses. The little one is good for sifting out the large particles from homemade almond milk to get it into the narrow opening of the bottle/container I keep it in.

What are you using sifted flour for, anyone?

Most cake recipes call for it. :whistling:

I only sift flour if the recipe specifically calls for it. Otherwise, in it goes straight out of the container! (well, I suppose it goes in the measuring scoop first).

There's a flour sifter that sits on top of the bowls of both the Bosch Universal & the Nutrimill Artiste stand mixers. I may or may not get one. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom