Who uses a thermometer or temperature gauge?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
10:09 AM
These come in many shapes & forms. They are used in many applications. For instance, there is one for every use, such as inside appliances & even in rooms to know the correct temperature. I have one in both ovens, the fridge & in both freezers. For the outdoor temp, I just ask Alexa what the outside temp is & she'll tell me. Even though the ovens give acurate temps, I keep thermometers in them anyway to know exactly what they are. :whistling:
Oven temp thermometer..jpg

An oven thermometer is a good thing to have. So many ovens don't show the correct temperature. Mine is off about five degrees at 400F. I set my oven to 405F to get 400F.

My iPhone or AppleWatch will give me the outside temperature via The Weather Channel.

CD

The best and most accurate thermometers are digital thermometers. I use them to measure the temperature of the cakeView attachment 109301

That's an instant read probe thermometer, and digital is definitely faster. Oven thermometers can't have any plastic parts, or computer chips... or digital readouts. You pretty much have to go old-school for oven thermometers.

CD

I’ve used one in the past, but my current oven, the manual specifically says not to use one to test its temperature, because (their words, not mine) the oven temperature constantly adjusts and a thermometer won’t give an accurate reading. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve used one in the past, but my current oven, the manual specifically says not to use one to test its temperature, because (their words, not mine) the oven temperature constantly adjusts and a thermometer won’t give an accurate reading. 🤷‍♂️
My understanding of how ovens work is that during pre-heating, they release bouts of different temperatures until the oven interior reaches an average temperature that matches the temperature you selected. Then the oven's average temperature is more or less constant, with

My understanding of how ovens work is that during pre-heating, they release bouts of different temperatures until the oven interior reaches an average temperature that matches the temperature you selected. Then the oven's average temperature is more or less constant, with
That’s what I always thought, but the good folks at Whirlpool are saying different, at least for my oven!

That’s what I always thought, but the good folks at Whirlpool are saying different, at least for my oven!
My guess is they don't want you to know the oven doesn't have a consistent temperature throughout 😜

I don't blame them because I'm sure there would be thousands of customers complaining their oven is not at the temperature it's supposed to. But I'm not sure if there are any ovens that do keep a consistent temperature inside the entire oven though.

Last edited:
The best and most accurate thermometers are digital thermometers. I use them to measure the temperature of the cakeView attachment 109301

I tried using digital thermometers & found out that they eat up the batteries too fast & they are often so hard to get & replace, so I went back to using the old-school ones with the needle dial. I think that they work much better!! :whistling:

A friend of mine has a Thermador oven that was installed in the kitchen way back in the '50's. It's very old & the temperature settings are way off!! I made a 7up cake in it & it cooked way too fast!! So fast that it practically burnt the cake!!! I won't bake a cake in THAT oven any more!!

He claims that buying a new oven won't fit in that space because it would be too large!! I don't see how because the oven that's in my stove is the same size, & it
's NEW & it works really good!!! It looks just like THIS. And it plugs into it's own separate outlet. And when it came time to remove the cake from the tube pan, it got stuck & wouldn't come out easy!! When it did, almost have the cake was still left in the pan!!!! And yes, he keeps a thermometer in it!! :eek:
1950's Thermador Oven..jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure my old oven temps are all over the place, but I can more or less work with it.
It's a gas oven with only bottom heat and a button that has no figures left on it. So I marked it "high" and "low" and anything in between is operator's guess :)

No idea if my oven heats to the right temperature or not, but I just rely on its digital display and the fact I've been using it for 15 years. Having said that, you all know I'm not a baker, so the oven tends to get used for baked savoury dishes, rather than cakes and bread.
I did buy a meat thermometer a few years back, however, because I was asked to make some roast beef.

Back
Top Bottom