Why does restaurant Bolognese taste better than mine?

Well, actually sometimes garlic can be put in, as long as it is then removed.
However, if someone asks for the original recipe for Ragù alla Bolognese, I will provide it. That's all.
Marmite? Ok this is too much :laugh:
I put peanut butter in mine.

Ok, I don't. I just wanted to take the heat off epicuric a bit. :laugh:

I feel a new thread coming on here. Authentic vs. modern. I would expect there to be fireworks though.

Don't count me in :laugh:

Isn't Bolognese one of those recipes that nearly every family makes their own way?

Yes of course, but sticking to the original recipe, not adding just anything, otherwise it would be another recipe. Good, I don't say the contrary, but not Bolognese.
Putting oil or butter together, or just oil or just butter, as well as using white wine or red wine, things like that.

Would you share your family recipe MPoI? Do you make it like your Nonna? Which Nonna?

I first learned ragu from a friends Nonna, when I was 12 years old. However, then my friends Mum showed me, and they weren't the same.

My friend, who came to Sydney with her parents, Nonna & sister when she was a teenager in the 1960’s also makes her ragu different to her mother & Nonna.
So, just within one family the ragu is different.

However they all make meatballs exactly the same.
Fun isn’t it?

Oh, and I meant to say that chefs use way more salt than you’d use at time & they also use boosters - concentrated stock powders that often include msg.

Would you share your family recipe MPoI? Do you make it like your Nonna? Which Nonna?

I first learned ragu from a friends Nonna, when I was 12 years old. However, then my friends Mum showed me, and they weren't the same.

My friend, who came to Sydney with her parents, Nonna & sister when she was a teenager in the 1960’s also makes her ragu different to her mother & Nonna.
So, just within one family the ragu is different.

However they all make meatballs exactly the same.
Fun isn’t it?

Yes, as I already said in a previous comment, Ragu’ alla Bolognese is one of those Italian recipes that belong to a family version although there is an original/official version. However this doesn’t mean to put in any things like mushrooms or potatoes, but try to stay close to the Ragu’. Butter or oil, herbs no herbs, pork or beef or veal, things like that, chilli not chilli, things like that.

Yes, as I already said in a previous comment, Ragu’ alla Bolognese is one of those Italian recipes that belong to a family version although there is an original/official version. However this doesn’t mean to put in any things like mushrooms or potatoes, but try to stay close to the Ragu’. Butter or oil, herbs no herbs, pork or beef or veal, things like that, chilli not chilli, things like that.

Red wine?

Update: I had another go yesterday incorporating a couple of suggestions from this thread (thanks!) which were: red wine (full bodied) instead of white, more aggressive browning of meat, higher ratio of puree vs pelati. The results were a lot better and I’ve put a stash in my fridge to see how well it matures during the week.

20B68AC9-E85C-49C2-9ABB-6E4135E1CB2D.jpeg

Update: I had another go yesterday incorporating a couple of suggestions from this thread (thanks!) which were: red wine (full bodied) instead of white, more aggressive browning of meat, higher ratio of puree vs pelati. The results were a lot better and I’ve put a stash in my fridge to see how well it matures during the week.

View attachment 56848

Good job! Brava :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom