Why does restaurant Bolognese taste better than mine?

You can also sharpen the sweetness of a Sauce with a touch of Balsamic Vinegar. Milk in a red Sauce, to my mind, reduces it's punch. The Dairy thing, I would add as grated Cheese at serving - a sharp Cheese, of course, like Parmesan, Romano or Asiago.

Does milk reduce your strength? Because balsamic vinegar enhance it?
Nope, milk works perfectly.

Last edited:
Also, just read that adding about 1/3 tsp of baking soda per pound of ground beef, gently mixing and letting it sit for about 15 minutes before cooking changes the pH and protein strands in the meat enough to where you get a darker browning and less of the fat released and a more tender chew. I have NOT tried this yet, but intend to next time we use ground beef.

Well, that's how they do it in large kitchens :roflmao: ...

Here's another Italian version. Couldn't translate it with Google but (I think) it includes 600 g minced beef, 250 g minced pork, 700 ml dense passata (+ water), 1 small white onion, 70 g celery, 70 g carrots, 3 tablespoons evoo, 100 ml red wine, 50 ml milk and (optional) rosemary. Nothing surprising. Restaurants may add sweeteners (sugar or syrup), reduced beef stock, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and/or other untraditional flavorings to "boost" the taste.

I see. There are large kitchens over here too, but .... oh well, you know again :laugh:

Am I the only one who uses garlic? Many good suggestions above (authentic, or not:laugh:) The right cut of meat is a big factor - don't expect much flavour from supermarket lean mince. As a few have mentioned, umami flavour is king. MypinchofItaly will probably never speak to me again, but I add a spoonful of Marmite to mine. However, probably the biggest factor is that in a restaurant this dish will be batch cooked, probably twice a week. By the time you get to eat it it will have been sitting in a chiller for a few days giving the flavour time to develop.

Am I the only one who uses garlic? Many good suggestions above (authentic, or not:laugh:) The right cut of meat is a big factor - don't expect much flavour from supermarket lean mince. As a few have mentioned, umami flavour is king. MypinchofItaly will probably never speak to me again, but I add a spoonful of Marmite to mine. However, probably the biggest factor is that in a restaurant this dish will be batch cooked, probably twice a week. By the time you get to eat it it will have been sitting in a chiller for a few days giving the flavour time to develop.
Mine has garlic, 20 cloves.

Well, actually sometimes garlic can be put in, as long as it is then removed.
However, if someone asks for the original recipe for Ragù alla Bolognese, I will provide it. That's all.
Marmite? Ok this is too much :laugh:

Also, just read that adding about 1/3 tsp of baking soda per pound of ground beef, gently mixing and letting it sit for about 15 minutes before cooking changes the pH and protein strands in the meat enough to where you get a darker browning and less of the fat released and a more tender chew. I have NOT tried this yet, but intend to next time we use ground beef.

That's an interesting general purpose tip. I might investigate. :)

I suppose i can mince my own beef...

I was waiting for someone to mention Marmite :okay: (a splash of Lea & Perrins also works to add that umami flavour too). And yes garlic....lot's of it...sorry if its not authentic! :whistling:

I think your point about it being made ahead and then stored in the fridge for a few days is spot on....ragu, chilli or curry....they all seem to have more flavour if they've had time to sit and let the flavours develop.

I was waiting for someone to mention Marmite :okay: (a splash of Lea & Perrins also works to add that umami flavour too). And yes garlic....lot's of it...sorry if its not authentic! :whistling:

I think your point about it being made ahead and then stored in the fridge for a few days is spot on....ragu, chilli or curry....they all seem to have more flavour if they've had time to sit and let the flavours develop.

It's not a matter of authencity. Once again.

Back
Top Bottom