Why don't people stay vegan after trying it?

I've been a vegetarian for forty years, so I've probably got the hang of it by now. I've never been tempted to go vegan as I like cheese and eggs too much (though preferably not together).

Some non-hot ingredients I use are powdered dried mango (amchur), fresh fenugreek (methi), mint, onion seed - but it does help to live near an Indian community so you can get the ingredients.

You are lucky to live somewhere you can get these ingredients easily. I use all the ones you mention (and more). Amchur is a great spice. I mentioned it recently in a recipe I think (can't remember where!) and remember other folk here saying they couldn't get it.

I like cheese and eggs too much (though preferably not together).

I think cheese and eggs is a lovely combination. At its simplest, cheese omelette, for example?

I agree with you though. I could easily be vegan if it weren't for cheese and eggs. Actually, mainly eggs. But in my case there is also seafood. I don't think I would ever decline an oyster. Meat I can do without.

I already answered the questions.

I was vegan once, when I was younger. I was a passionate vegetarian for years, then going vegan seemed the logical next step. And I loved it for years, until I got very, very sick.

I was hospitalized 10 times in 3 years, malnourished, and twice on deaths door. Not because of Veganism, but because of Ulcerative Colitis and lung embolisms caused by the UC.
My bowels were damaged so badly that my colon is permanently removed.

And now I am no longer vegan, because since that surgery getting enough b12 and vit D eating leafy greens and beans is challenging and not possible without supplements. The nutrients from vegan food don't get digested well by my shorter bowels and the doctor recommended to eat animal products to compensate for it.

I did, and it got my b12 and vit D levels back to normal. I felt a lot better. I still don't consume all animal products, I insist that they are organic and humanely raised.
But I often hear vegans say there is never a reason why someone cant be vegan and that's simply not true. There are people like me out there.

I already answered the questions.

I was vegan once, when I was younger. I was a passionate vegetarian for years, then going vegan seemed the logical next step. And I loved it for years, until I got very, very sick.

I was hospitalized 10 times in 3 years, malnourished, and twice on deaths door. Not because of Veganism, but because of Ulcerative Colitis and lung embolisms caused by the UC.
My bowels were damaged so badly that my colon is permanently removed.

And now I am no longer vegan, because since that surgery getting enough b12 and vit D eating leafy greens and beans is challenging and not possible without supplements. The nutrients from vegan food don't get digested well by my shorter bowels and the doctor recommended to eat animal products to compensate for it.

I did, and it got my b12 and vit D levels back to normal. I felt a lot better. I still don't consume all animal products, I insist that they are organic and humanely raised.
But I often hear vegans say there is never a reason why someone cant be vegan and that's simply not true. There are people like me out there.
No reason to no be Vegan Bella? If being so kill you that seem pretty big reason for me. I will always say humans made for eat both meats and vegetable.

Sarana x

No reason to no be Vegan Bella? If being so kill you that seem pretty big reason for me. I will always say humans made for eat both meats and vegetable.

Sarana x

Yes, but some people are so passionate about not killing animals that they will do and say anything to withold people from going back. I come from a community of activists, they usually don't take kindly on those who become ex vegan.

I understand their passion, but some people just really can't be vegan.

One of my aunts has been vegetarian/then vegan later on nearly her whole life, she's in her 80s now. It was a challenge for her cooking for an omnivore husband and 4 children, but she did it.

I wouldn't mind eating a much more vegetarian, occasionally vegan diet than I do, but have a husband, CraigC , who would NOT be happy if that was what we mostly ate. It's not an ethical/moral choice for me as much as simply my tastes have changed over the years, and I tend to go heavier with veges and carbs then I do proteins anymore.

We don't eat meat every day, we eat a fair amount of vegetarian food and some of that could easily be made vegan by simply substituting vegetable oil for my normal ghee.

I'll often substitute beans, chickpeas or lentils for the meat in a ragu or curry, we love dal, risotto, and various other pasta dishes.....all of these could be made vegan without too much effort. But other things are more difficult eg. you can't really have an omelette or poached eggs with asparagus without eggs. A simple pasta with tomato sauce could be easily vegan, so long as you don't sprinkle parmesan or pecorino over the top (but that's the best bit!) but macaroni cheese can't be unless you buy special vegan cheese.

To be honest though I've never been tempted by vegetarianism, never mind veganism, because I enjoy eating too many kinds of foods and I'm not prepared to give them up. When we do eat meat we try to make sure it is free range and ethically produced because animal welfare matters to us.

Last edited:
One of my aunts has been vegetarian/then vegan later on nearly her whole life, she's in her 80s now. It was a challenge for her cooking for an omnivore husband and 4 children, but she did it.

Hats off to her - that must have been a huge challenge, going that far back. It would be interesting to hear what kind of food she made back in the 50's, 60's and so on.

Hats off to her - that must have been a huge challenge, going that far back. It would be interesting to hear what kind of food she made back in the 50's, 60's and so on.
Si MG as some say is difficult now then must been almost impossible to do. And with 4 bambini also.

Sarana x

you can't really have an omelette or poached eggs with asparagus without eggs.

There are 'egg replacers' which are often made with chick-pea flour. They can be quite good if you want 'set' faux egg and work well in a quiche. But you can't make a loose creamy scramble with them.

but macaroni cheese can't be unless you buy special vegan cheese.

I make a great 'vegan cheese sauce' without any bought cheese. I keep meaning to write up the recipe. Here is a photo of Cauliflower Cheese I made with it:

Parmesan is easy to fake and I've even fooled people with this recipe:

Recipe - Vegan 'Parmesan'

Ghee is vegetarian - you mean made vegan?
Yes I did - corrected now!

Re. eggs and cheese replacements.....yes I know it can be done and if I was cooking for someone who was vegan then I'd do it if I really wanted to cook a dish that needed me to. But as no-one I cook for is currently vegan I don't see the point right now of buying special ingredients to "fake" a food that already like eating the real version of.

Back
Top Bottom