Why is making bread suddenly so popular?

I know were I live there is a shortage of flour because of covid-19. So I think people are bored for the same reason and there is a little panic that has set in.

Are there still shortages across America? It seems to be OK now here in the UK.

Oh - and welcome to CookingBites ILoveBBQ - if you have a moment please pop over to New to CookingBites? and say a bit about yourself and your interest in cooking. We like to say hello to new folk.

Are there still shortages across America? It seems to be OK now here in the UK.

Oh - and welcome to CookingBites ILoveBBQ - if you have a moment please pop over to New to CookingBites? and say a bit about yourself and your interest in cooking. We like to say hello to new folk.
What I'm seeing locally is that flours from Gold Medal and Pillsbury are back and readily available, but not King Arthur or Bob's Red Mill.

The former are big corporate brands, normally available everywhere, and the latter are considered more of a premium, small-shop brand. My usual flours are all KA - I haven't seen them since March.

Yeast has been out for a while, but I've seen packets of it slowly showing back up.

To add...this morning, I saw my first bag of KA AP flour since all this mess started. Yes!

I also found yeast at ALDI, just the little 3X packets, and not many, so I grabbed one of those, then I stopped into Kroger for my beer, and they had...two jars of yeast. It's slowly making its way back.

When I went Tuesday, there was gold medal and a few bags of the alternative flours. No yeast. They did have baking soda and powder.

However, we buy Barilla pasta and they have none of the rigatti, which is what Craig likes, since the start of this. They've gotten a few different kinds of regular Barilla, but no rigatti at all.

Back
Top Bottom