Why Your Diet May Not Be Working

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:53 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I've just finished reading quite possibly the best article I've ever read about weight loss:

http://time.com/4793832/the-weight-loss-trap/

No, this isn't a fad diet...quite the opposite. Rather, the article examines why some diets work for some people and not other people, while also establishing some basic weight loss facts.

I urge you to read the entire article, but here are some key points (which also play in a short video at the top of the article):
  1. Metabolism Slows Down - As people lose weight, their metabolism slows down, making it harder to maintain a smaller size. Unfortunately, the metabolism doesn't speed up again once the new weight is established.
  2. Appetite Changes - One study found that as people lose weight, they eat about 100 calories more for every 2 pounds lost.
  3. Genes Don't Control Everything - A study of 9000 people found that having a gene marker related to weight gain doesn't prevent people from losing weight.
  4. People React to the Same Foods in Different Ways - Researchers in Israel found that blood sugar levels vary widely after eating the same foods.
  5. You Don't Need to Lose As Much As You Think - With only a 10% weight loss, people can experience noticeable changes in blood pressure and blood sugar control.
Studies have shown that the thing people who are successful in losing weight have in common is a high level of motivation to lose the weight. This sounds obvious, but the real point here is that there isn't a single thing that works for everyone: many of the people who lose weight and keep it off failed several times, but continued trying until they found something that worked for them.

@The Late Night Gourmet
@toddhicks209

Shall read article .. I do believe in either the gym ( Stair Master and the Bicycle ) or speed walking or bicycling .. Vital and excellent forms of exercise ..

I am also a believer in " food combining " .. I do not eat starch with protein often .. They not only are difficult on the digestive but they do not combine in one´s body and therefore pack on sensitive zones ..

Fats ( cheese, Evoo, butter, Greek Yogurt, Prosciutto / Iberian acorn fed Ham, etcetra ) should be eaten early in the morning. This is the time our bodies burn fats at a much quicker rate ..

There are so many yes´s and no´s and each one of us is different in our processes ..

Have a great day ..

And after I eat pizza and drink beer I sit on the couch for the rest of the evening. That probably has a lot to do with it...:facepalm:
Substitute tea for beer, and it's not unlike myself a few hours before going to bed a few hours later.

"Diet" this and "diet" that. "Experts" love to blame soda pop or carbs or fat or whatever the "villain du jour" is. For most people, they only need to remember two things: Get off your butt and move around, and eat in moderation. I lost 40+ pounds doing just that, starting with walking a mile+ every day for six months before I even started to cut back on what I ate. Then, instead of two or three rolls with salad at dinner, I would have none or one. Smaller portions. One glass of wine instead of two (or more...:whistling: ). Even a measured serving of quality ice cream on occasion. No "sugar-free, low-fat" kind, real ice cream. A year after cutting back, 40+ pounds gone relatively painlessly. Kept it off, too, until a corporate move. Didn't want to leave home, and started what I call my depression eating phase. If I couldn't hug my daughter, I could hug a bowl of ice cream. A big bowl. :porky: Time to go back to moderate eating! :laugh: Too bad I have senior citizen feet - distance walking is no longer in the picture, but my stationary bike is. Now to get large print books so I can read with my senior citizen eyes while I pedal my ...... butt.

Substitute tea for beer, and it's not unlike myself a few hours before going to bed a few hours later.
lol....actually, I was just kidding, somewhat. I'll have a few beer a week....I've had about 2 cups of tea my whole life..

"Diet" this and "diet" that. "Experts" love to blame soda pop or carbs or fat or whatever the "villain du jour" is. For most people, they only need to remember two things: Get off your butt and move around, and eat in moderation. I lost 40+ pounds doing just that, starting with walking a mile+ every day for six months before I even started to cut back on what I ate. Then, instead of two or three rolls with salad at dinner, I would have none or one. Smaller portions. One glass of wine instead of two (or more...:whistling: ). Even a measured serving of quality ice cream on occasion. No "sugar-free, low-fat" kind, real ice cream. A year after cutting back, 40+ pounds gone relatively painlessly. Kept it off, too, until a corporate move. Didn't want to leave home, and started what I call my depression eating phase. If I couldn't hug my daughter, I could hug a bowl of ice cream. A big bowl. :porky: Time to go back to moderate eating! :laugh: Too bad I have senior citizen feet - distance walking is no longer in the picture, but my stationary bike is. Now to get large print books so I can read with my senior citizen eyes while I pedal my ...... butt.
Have you turned for home yet?
Wine .jpg

Last edited:
The biggest problem lies in the amount of ingredients and portions and then obviously follows the quality of foods and seasonings, a wise and conscious use of salt and sugar, all associated with effective and constant exercise (just a quarter of a Walk time a day to say the most obvious, but still right) and drink plenty of water. Grant excesses or prizes once in a while, or even, as I do, eat carbohydrates for lunch and in the evening keep it light ... I do not really eat during dinner in thi period because it's very warm, maybe a little raw vegetable. I say that this is in general, then for more specific cases or problems, you can turn to a dietician.

The biggest problem lies in the amount of ingredients and portions and then obviously follows the quality of foods and seasonings, a wise and conscious use of salt and sugar, all associated with effective and constant exercise (just a quarter of a Walk time a day to say the most obvious, but still right) and drink plenty of water. Grant excesses or prizes once in a while, or even, as I do, eat carbohydrates for lunch and in the evening keep it light ... I do not really eat during dinner in thi period because it's very warm, maybe a little raw vegetable. I say that this is in general, then for more specific cases or problems, you can turn to a dietician.
Your last line is fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom