Recipe Wild garlic pesto

Elawin

Guru
Local time
3:33 PM
Wild garlic pesto

wild-garlic-pesto262.jpg

This is delicious thrown through pasta, swirled through soups and stews or served as a condiment to baked potatoes or a perfectly roast chicken. Try using it as a salad dressing or popping a few dabs into your favourite sandwich. Will keep for at least a week in the fridge. Feel free to replace the hazelnuts with any nut of your choosing, likewise any salty hard cheese can work too. Makes 1 large jar.

Ingredients
  • 100g wild garlic
  • 50g Parmesan grated
  • 50g hazelnuts, skinned & toasted
  • olive oil
  • lemon juice, to taste
  • salt & pepper

Method
  1. Thoroughly wash your wild garlic and place in a food processor, blitz until fairly well broken up.
  2. Next add your Parmesan and process further, this will help to break down the garlic leaves.
  3. Finally add your hazelnuts. When the nuts are added you will want to have your olive oil to hand; turn the machine back on, and add olive oil to your desired consistency.
  4. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
  5. You can always make this more traditionally and slowly in a pestle and mortar too.

My Notes

This recipe is from http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/wild-garlic-pesto. I used a nice mature extra strong Cheddar cheese in place of the Parmesan but otherwise everything was as per recipe. The hazelnuts came from my garden.

I added some oil to my food processor, put it in a jar and then stirred more olive oil into it to get the right consistency. It should keep for about a month in the fridge. It's absolutely delicious!

Wild garlic pesto

wild-garlic-pesto262.jpg

This is delicious thrown through pasta, swirled through soups and stews or served as a condiment to baked potatoes or a perfectly roast chicken. Try using it as a salad dressing or popping a few dabs into your favourite sandwich. Will keep for at least a week in the fridge. Feel free to replace the hazelnuts with any nut of your choosing, likewise any salty hard cheese can work too. Makes 1 large jar.

Ingredients
  • 100g wild garlic
  • 50g Parmesan grated
  • 50g hazelnuts, skinned & toasted
  • olive oil
  • lemon juice, to taste
  • salt & pepper

Method
  1. Thoroughly wash your wild garlic and place in a food processor, blitz until fairly well broken up.
  2. Next add your Parmesan and process further, this will help to break down the garlic leaves.
  3. Finally add your hazelnuts. When the nuts are added you will want to have your olive oil to hand; turn the machine back on, and add olive oil to your desired consistency.
  4. Add salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste.
  5. You can always make this more traditionally and slowly in a pestle and mortar too.

My Notes

This recipe is from http://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/wild-garlic-pesto. I used a nice mature extra strong Cheddar cheese in place of the Parmesan but otherwise everything was as per recipe. The hazelnuts came from my garden.

I added some oil to my food processor, put it in a jar and then stirred more olive oil into it to get the right consistency. It should keep for about a month in the fridge. It's absolutely delicious!

Sounds delicious! I love wild garlic, especially when foraged for free. I had some a couple of weeks ago (not free but actually quite expensive from the greengrocers) and cooked it like spinach - wilted in a pan with a know of butter, added a dollop of creme fraiche and grated parmesan at the end. We had it as a side veg with pork belly. I'm not sure if it's still in season in the UK - it starts to get a bit too pungent and bitter when it comes into flower.

I love wild garlic,soups ,pestos ,sauces ,gnocchi,their has been plenty on the markets but I wait to forage,not long now!

Sounds delicious! I love wild garlic, especially when foraged for free. I had some a couple of weeks ago (not free but actually quite expensive from the greengrocers) and cooked it like spinach - wilted in a pan with a know of butter, added a dollop of creme fraiche and grated parmesan at the end. We had it as a side veg with pork belly. I'm not sure if it's still in season in the UK - it starts to get a bit too pungent and bitter when it comes into flower.
I got mine from Riverford. They last had it on 23 April, so I guess the season has mainly finished now. I've never seen it wild, but I wouldn't fancy getting wild garlic from the edge of the M25:D

I learned 3 things from reading this:

1) Wild garlic isn't just garlic that hasn't been domesticated yet. Now, I need to figure out where to get some.
2) Hazelnuts apparently work well in a pesto. I considered them when making an arugula pesto this week, but set them back down because hazelnuts are generally associated with desserts.
3) I need to add mortar and pestle to my unnecessary necessary kitchen purchases.

I learned 3 things from reading this:

1) Wild garlic isn't just garlic that hasn't been domesticated yet. Now, I need to figure out where to get some.
2) Hazelnuts apparently work well in a pesto. I considered them when making an arugula pesto this week, but set them back down because hazelnuts are generally associated with desserts.
3) I need to add mortar and pestle to my unnecessary necessary kitchen purchases.

It's well worth the effort if you can find it!

Back
Top Bottom