Winter Cooking Funk

At this time of year our temperatures are cool and hot; the rest of the year, hot and very hot. The length of daylight is 11.5 hours as opposed to 12.5 hours in the "summer". Neither has any effect upon my cooking.

As I'm sure you know, the further you get from the equator, the longer the days are in Summer, and shorter the days are in Winter. I have a friend in Alaska. At Summer Solstice, it never gets completely dark at night, and at Winter Solstice, it is dark all but an hour or two during the day. I don't know how she deals with it. I couldn't do it.

There is a 4 hour and 19 minute difference in sunrise/sunset between Summer and Winter Solstice in Dallas. The difference is 6 hours and 12 minutes in Detroit, where LateNightGourmet lives.

CD

I love soup. For obvious reasons I appreciate it even more in the winter. I use JAN/FEB as a time to experiment with my soup recipes. This year I have absolutely crushed it. Mainly because I'm making all different kinds of broths, which I then turn into soup.

Most recently I made a lamb broth. I used it for a veggie soup. It was one of the best veggie soups I have ever eaten.

I love soup. For obvious reasons I appreciate it even more in the winter. I use JAN/FEB as a time to experiment with my soup recipes. This year I have absolutely crushed it. Mainly because I'm making all different kinds of broths, which I then turn into soup.

Most recently I made a lamb broth. I used it for a veggie soup. It was one of the best veggie soups I have ever eaten.

February is always the worst month for me and the Winter funk. Even worse the last couple of years, stuck in Dallas and spending too much time indoors. Before that, I was traveling so much, I could count on trips to LA or Scottsdale to get me out in the sunlight and warm temperatures.

It's not just cooking, either. I have days when I don't even want to get out of bed, let alone cook.

CD

February is always the worst month for me and the Winter funk. Even worse the last couple of years, stuck in Dallas and spending too much time indoors. Before that, I was traveling so much, I could count on trips to LA or Scottsdale to get me out in the sunlight and warm temperatures.

It's not just cooking, either. I have days when I don't even want to get out of bed, let alone cook.

CD
I used to get days like that. I have Diazepam as a back up. I've only had to take 3 in last 3 years. I feel for ya. I really do.

Russ

I used to get days like that. I have Diazepam as a back up. I've only had to take 3 in last 3 years. I feel for ya. I really do.

Russ

I have lorazapan. One bottle of thirty tablets will last me at least six months. I need them more often in the dead of Winter than any other time.

CD

I have lorazapan. One bottle of thirty tablets will last me at least six months. I need them more often in the dead of Winter than any other time.

CD

Same here, I hate winter, really hate it
Last few have been warmish so I flew through. Kia kaha translation: be strong.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom