Winter Cooking Funk

I hate winter here with a vengeance, and thrive in summer. It's been so hot here, but cool and drizzly today. I'm enjoying the respite.

Russ

We have rain today, we were going to go for a long walk along canal paths and across open fields, not going to happen today :rain::rain::rain::rain:

I always get like this in cold weather months. It's never severe for me. I have a friend who gets "light treatments" starting in the autumn, and continuing through the springtime. For me, though, it's a lack of motivation once I get my work and everything else done. I'm not exhausted, but I'm also not feeling inspired. I have done some things - pickling is easy and essential for the foods I love - but I'm having a hard time feeling inspired to pull together something I'd be proud of presenting. I don't want to just post anything (microwave a potato and add butter....instant recipe!)

I did buy parsnips and turnips for this challenge, and then they sat for a few days. I put them in the garage. It's 20°F (-6°C) outside, so the garage is colder than the refrigerator. I actually peeled them this morning, but I got side-tracked. They're in a zipper bag in the refrigerator now, waiting for me to return to them.

I'm working fulltime from home, so I'm in the right physical place to cook. I'm just not in the right mental space. But, I will finish this one. I don't want to throw out those root vegetables!

I always get like this in cold weather months. It's never severe for me. I have a friend who gets "light treatments" starting in the autumn, and continuing through the springtime. For me, though, it's a lack of motivation once I get my work and everything else done. I'm not exhausted, but I'm also not feeling inspired. I have done some things - pickling is easy and essential for the foods I love - but I'm having a hard time feeling inspired to pull together something I'd be proud of presenting. I don't want to just post anything (microwave a potato and add butter....instant recipe!)

I did buy parsnips and turnips for this challenge, and then they sat for a few days. I put them in the garage. It's 20°F (-6°C) outside, so the garage is colder than the refrigerator. I actually peeled them this morning, but I got side-tracked. They're in a zipper bag in the refrigerator now, waiting for me to return to them.

I'm working fulltime from home, so I'm in the right physical place to cook. I'm just not in the right mental space. But, I will finish this one. I don't want to throw out those root vegetables!

I usually get the winter blues, too. This year has not been as bad as others. I've thought about getting one of those light therapy lamps, but have never done anything about it.

I've actually been cooking this winter, but mostly simple things. I did one entry for the root veggie challenge. That's probably all I will do -- I'm not a big root veggie fan.

CD

Are you a little bummed out that you haven't had much deep snow to shovel? Hopefully it has at least been cloudy, cold and rainy enough.

CD:D
This has been a decent enough Winter for me, maybe a little colder than usual, but you're right in that I haven't had to shovel the drive at all.

I did go for a walk day before yesterday while it was snowing a little. It took a while, but by the time I'd gotten back, I was covered in it, and as soon as I walked into the house, it pretty much melted on the spot, leaving a huge puddle.

Winter funk, count me in. We've had the least sunny january since 1986 ( one year before I was born 😄) according to the news last week . It's gray, gray, gray, wet and some dark grey. Ugh. And cold.
I have been very busy with other things than cooking, and tired a lot. Guess the stress is being released by my body now my oldest stepson finally has a curator.
And the lockdown was frustrating too, but that seems to be improving now.

I have been transplanted here for 22 years now from the sunshine state of Florida. It was about 6 years ago that bloodwork showed I was severely depleted in vitamin D3, which can lead to bone loss and issues with teeth. So I have been taking it in addition with calcium to stave off any issues.

Often men's doctors don't test for this when doing bloodwork. You might want to ask at your next checkup. I get my D3 prescribed to me and it's high quality (and free with my insurance).

Also we both may still be suffering from a tad bit of covid-19 aftermath. I still have fatigue, though it's only been 2 weeks for me. I think you had a positive test in December, is that right?

Anyway, hope you are feeling more energetic soon. I don't know what's wrong with TastyReuben, only he and Mrs. Tasty know for sure.

Winter funk, count me in. We've had the least sunny january since 1986 ( one year before I was born 😄) according to the news last week . It's gray, gray, gray, wet and some dark grey. Ugh. And cold.
I have been very busy with other things than cooking, and tired a lot. Guess the stress is being released by my body now my oldest stepson finally has a curator.
And the lockdown was frustrating too, but that seems to be improving now.
Do you take vitamin D3? Not saying it's a cure all, but maybe it could help.

I usually get the winter blues, too. This year has not been as bad as others. I've thought about getting one of those light therapy lamps, but have never done anything about it.

I've actually been cooking this winter, but mostly simple things. I did one entry for the root veggie challenge. That's probably all I will do -- I'm not a big root veggie fan.

CD
You mean you finally wrote up the recipe? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have a chronic vit D shortage due to my ileum being damaged in the part it gets digested in. I take 25000 ie on prescription and it's still low. Definitely a reason why I am tired more in winter.
Wow, that's such a high dose, I'm so sorry to hear your body isn't cooperating and absorbing what you need. I hope something resolves for you soon. Hugs!

Back
Top Bottom