Words you commonly use that are from another language

Regarding the post of WWII. Thanks to all of your family members who served. If any of you ever visit NOLA please, please, please make time to visit The National WWII Museum. Dedicate the better part of a day. Get your tickets in advance and arrive early. Start with the 4D video experience hosted by Tom Hanks. It really sets the stage for the rest of your visit. Then go to the Museum. Plan on spending several hours, most of the day, visiting the exhibits and viewing videos. There is a Deli but the lines are long and the food is iffy. I pack a small cooler and leave it in the car for a lunch break. I have been to the museum three times and have found something new and informative every time I visit. I always start with the 4D video. It has not changed but it gets your heart pumping and your mind ready to appreciate what you will see in the museum.

Yes...I'm thinking that someone in Italy might have a German term that they use, for example.

In a related topic, I do know that I heard a lot more American phrasing, word usage, and slang (though still with a British accent) while waiting for a train in England when I visited in 2015 than I did when I visited for the first time in 1993. The world is becoming more global due to social media and widespread communications.

In the 80s and 90s, Ford had an exchange program between their offices in Dunton, England and Dearborn, Michigan. The participants were expected to stay at least 2 years, so really only younger people did it. I recall visiting a friend who I knew in the States after he had been in Dunton for about a year. He had developed a full-on British accent, and used terms like "straight away". This didn't bother me.

It certainly worked the other way. One fellow - who I always felt had a British accent despite being here for a decade - told me that his friends back home say they can't understand him! And I recall being in a car with three native Britons who had been in the States for a bit over a year, when one used the phrase "kinda neat", his fellow Britons laughed out loud and never let him hear the end of it. :laugh:

I worked for a computer software company that was bought by a company out of Newcastle, England. I was high up in the company (faked my way to the top), and the board of directors from England were in town, and we were in the CEO's conference room, and someone was addressing the board on one of our products that wasn't doing well. One of the British board members said, "Well, keep your peckers up." We all looked at each other, aghast, and he got it. He explained that the meaning was keep you noses up, or as we would say, keep your chins up.

CD

Back
Top Bottom