Working Moms and Dads - When do you cook?

oivas

Veteran
Local time
9:15 AM
I have this question for all our community members knowing very well that many of us would be working and even in a day job. So, how do you manage to cook? Is it cook in the morning for the entire day and heat it in the evening? Or cook in the morning and then cook again in the night?

I'm not a parent, but I make it a point to cook for myself in the mornings and when I get home from work as well. Most of the time I wan't something done and on the table within 30 to 45 min well, as soon as I walk in the door. I look at it this way, there are plenty of great recipes that can be made quickly, that I would much rather have than something I made several days ago and have to re-heat. I often don't like the taste or texture of re-heated food.

It literally only takes a couple minutes to scramble some eggs and make some toast in the mornings. Even if I am making an omelette and/or some sausages or bacon to go along with it, I can be done and have the pans in the dishwasher within 15 minutes easily. If a home made breakfast means getting up at 6 instead of 6:30 am, it's really not that big of a deal imo.

For dinner, if I am really starving and want food asap, I will usually go with chicken or steak fajitas. I can be chopping up the fresh toppings while the meat and peppers are grilling, and have everything done within 15 min. If I am in the mood for Chinese, I will throw some boneless skinless chicken thighs in a bag with soy sauce or teryaki sauce and let them marinade while I'm at work, then when I get home, pan fry them in a little vegetable oil, and steam some rice and vegetables to go with it in my electric food steamer or microwave. Even a baked pasta casserole can be on the table within an hour - cook the pasta in the microwave for about 10 min (faster than waiting for the water to boil on the stove) while the oven is preheating. Mix all your ingredients, then bake for 45 min or so - it will be on the table within an hour.

I make it a point to not do anything else until I cook myself something first - no answering emails, answering phone messages, etc... they can all wait. If anyone has a problem with it, I'll just tell them I was at work late or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom