Worst hangover you've ever had...

Duck59

Guru
Local time
6:55 PM
Website
duckholiday.com
Now, in truth, this is quite a tricky one. I've had that many in the past that picking one is not the simplest thing. However, one springs to mind and not altogether surprisingly, it was on a New Year's Day.

Thundering hangovers notwithstanding, I went to our local pub with a pal of mine who was in the same state as me. Our local, in Oxford, was a pub owned by the late and deeply lamented Morrell's brewery and we, with suitable bravado, ordered a pint of bitter apiece.

For the next twenty minutes or, we sat at the bar staring forlornly at the pints we couldn't really face. The barman looked at us, shook his head and said, "I know what you need." From behind the bar, he produced two little bottles and two small glasses, then proceeded to pour out a dark and rather vile-looking liquid.

This was our first encounter with Underberg. It's a German concoction (aperitif, in fact) made from a multitude of herbs. It tastes disgusting. Indeed, the barman told us, "Don't sip it. Knock it back in one." We duly did so.

Within about ten minutes, we had finished our pints, ordered more and started playing pool. Miracle cure? Not really. Underberg is 44% and essentially, it simply makes you drunk again so that you don't notice you've got a hangover. Not, I suspect, recommended by doctors. It did the job, though.

Ciao,
There been a few, but worse my wedding day or day after. Ray an I married in Napoli, we due go Sicilia for honeymoon. We have big party an Ray an I sit drink Grappa all night. In morning we stagger to car I think we both still ubriaco he have little fiat Cinquecento, Ray put cases in back seat, we sit stare out of wind screen, I say I no feel good caro, he say same then together we stick heads out of side window an be sick all over side of car. Ray look at me I shake head, we get out and go back bed. Mama horrified she call Ray an me many names. We arrive in Sicilia two day late. It was lovely honeymoon but married life no start to good :eek: .

Sarana x

Ciao,
There been a few, but worse my wedding day or day after. Ray an I married in Napoli, we due go Sicilia for honeymoon. We have big party an Ray an I sit drink Grappa all night. In morning we stagger to car I think we both still ubriaco he have little fiat Cinquecento, Ray put cases in back seat, we sit stare out of wind screen, I say I no feel good caro, he say same then together we stick heads out of side window an be sick all over side of car. Ray look at me I shake head, we get out and go back bed. Mama horrified she call Ray an me many names. We arrive in Sicilia two day late. It was lovely honeymoon but married life no start to good :eek: .

Sarana x
I also have a FIAT 500 and have also puked while in it. You should be thankful yours went outside. I didn't get the window down far enough, so half of what I expelled hit the inside door glass and dribbled down inside the door panel.

It took a couple of hot summers for the stink to bake out of it. :)

That was probably 10 years ago and was the last time I was seriously drunk.

My first.
16 yo. Classmates parents are out of town . PARTY!!
It was not difficult to find older friends to buy booze .
At that time the drinking age was 18
I had a 1/2 pint of Wild Turkey with coke.
I remember being on the couch needing to be sick . Someone with more experience told me to put my foot on the floor to keep the room from spinning . Someone else kindly put a waste basket next to me
l did make use of it
The next morning I felt as if I had been run over by a truck.
Sick repeatedly.
Now a normal person would swear off of booze . My take away was do not use sweet mixers. :o_o:

Ciao,

Sarana x

Great story!

Eritrea, Christmas 1995. One of my VSO colleagues had a big party in her house. There was a vast quantity of alcohol available and I duly consumed a vast quantity of it, mainly beer and gin. Someone had made a punch and I felt it would be only polite to have a glass of this. One glass was all I had.

The punch contained Zibib, a local variety of the ouzo, arak, pastis style drinks you get just about everywhere. And guess what? During the many hours of the following day as I struggled with a colossal hangover, all I could taste was Zibib. In fact, I reckon that every cup of tea I had for about three days tasted of the stuff.

I was about fifteen. A friends mother was hosting a charity fundraising cheese & wine party, and I was recruited to carry round trays of wine. The 'serve one, drink one, serve one drink one' routine lasted about an hour (and I served a lot of wine) before I found myself closely aquainted with Thomas Crapper's finest. I don't remember how I got to bed, but waking up next morning was not a pleasant experience for many reasons. I'd like to say it put me off wine for life. But it didn't.

Now, in truth, this is quite a tricky one. I've had that many in the past that picking one is not the simplest thing. However, one springs to mind and not altogether surprisingly, it was on a New Year's Day.

Thundering hangovers notwithstanding, I went to our local pub with a pal of mine who was in the same state as me. Our local, in Oxford, was a pub owned by the late and deeply lamented Morrell's brewery and we, with suitable bravado, ordered a pint of bitter apiece.

For the next twenty minutes or, we sat at the bar staring forlornly at the pints we couldn't really face. The barman looked at us, shook his head and said, "I know what you need." From behind the bar, he produced two little bottles and two small glasses, then proceeded to pour out a dark and rather vile-looking liquid.

This was our first encounter with Underberg. It's a German concoction (aperitif, in fact) made from a multitude of herbs. It tastes disgusting. Indeed, the barman told us, "Don't sip it. Knock it back in one." We duly did so.

Within about ten minutes, we had finished our pints, ordered more and started playing pool. Miracle cure? Not really. Underberg is 44% and essentially, it simply makes you drunk again so that you don't notice you've got a hangover. Not, I suspect, recommended by doctors. It did the job, though.

There have been a few. You mentioning Underberg reminds me of one particular session in Herm during 'the lads' fishing week about 8 years ago. I had a 48 hour bender.
The day we arrived it was one of the guys birthday so once we had all our kit sorted out we all headed off to the pub for a session to celebrate his birthday. I woke up in the morning with a raging headache. One of the guys has a Latvian girlfriend and on one of their trips he picked up this drink called Balsam which allegedly serves the same purpose.
He poured me a small glass and said "here, knock this back."
Very shortly I felt a little better so I poured myself a larger glass and drank that. I then felt very much better so had an even larger glass of Balsam.
My friend then said, "Ooops, how many of those have you had, it's xx% proof, you're only meant to drink a little bit."
Too late! Had another massive session, between me and another guy we polished off a bottle of port, two small bottles of schnapps, a bottle of calvados and various lagers and ciders. We were a mess.

8 Latvian Dishes You Need to Try in Riga

Another session, in Herm again.

Andy and I always have a bit of a bet going on our Herm trip. A drink for the first bass, first grey mullet, first huss etc.

On this particular week it ended up with me owing Andy three drinks and he owed me two.

One of my friends egged me on to buy him all three drinks at the same time, give Andy his due he took those three pints of lager, drank them and caught up with us.
Then he said "Right, you (expletive deleted), my turn."

He went up to the bar and tried to get me a depth charge, (pint with a Sambuca in a shot glass dropped into it. But it didn't work so they just poured it in. I necked that and for my second drink he got me another pint with three sambucas in it.
We were both screeching that night and had eyes like road maps in the morning.

I remember my coworker and my supervisor taking me out after work for my 20th birthday. The drinking age here had just changed to 21, but military had been excepted as long as they drank on the air base, so we headed to the NCO club, still in uniform.

I had several beers, then a couple of shots of bourbon, but the thing that tipped it was a super-sweet wine cooler. Seemed like a good idea.

According to the description of my coworker later, I suddenly, without notice, began to sway back and forth a bit, then threw up on my supervisor, but instead of the usual all-at-once vomiting, he said it came out in a very thin, very precise stream, hitting my boss in the face and the chest.

They picked me up and walked me back to my dorm room, which was just through a small stand of trees behind the club complex. Once they got me to my room, they stripped me naked and tried to get me in the shower, but instead, I broke free, ran down the hall, knocked on the door of a young woman I was attracted to (Brenda, built like an Amazon warrior 🥰) and offered my stud services.

At that point, my coworker corralled me, got me back to my room, put me in the shower again, where I promptly fell asleep.

I woke up later, typical room-spinning headache and hangover, sort of went back to sleep, but determined that I would not, under any circumstance, be late for work the next day.

It was a struggle, but I made it into the office, feeling like absolute crap, right at 0730 on the nose. No one was in the office, which was unusual, and I actually started to think I'd made it in, where they couldn't.

Just then, the side door, connecting our office to the office next door (where lovely Brenda worked), opened, and everyone came in, clapping and shouting and generally embarrassing me. Brenda even loudly mocked my wiener-wiggling offer of company the night before, asking if I was still up for it now that it was morning.

All day long, the whole squadron kept coming by and teasing me about it, especially the women, who all asked me a lot of rather personal questions about my, uh, physical attributes. It took weeks to get past that.

I just docked the dive boat and washed it down. My divemaster needed a ride back to where he was staying. He invited me in for a drink. After polishing off a bottle of Tanqueray gin between us, I needed a ride home and I don't remember ever being so sick. Haven't touched gin ever since.

One time Craig had been gone on a business trip for a while and I was feeling very lonely and down in the dumps, so I broke out a bottle of limoncello. I drank the WHOLE bottle over 3-4 hours, didn't even bother putting it back in the freezer after about half way through, just took it with me to the couch. I did make it upstairs to bed, though I don't remember that. I was horribly sick for 1-1/2 days and felt pretty rough for another couple days. Probably had alcohol poisoning but didn't go to ER or doc.

One of what I'll dub "The Pee Trilogy:"

I was probably 21, I'd been out drinking too much, and drove back to the dorm on base (yes, stupid and dangerous, I don't do that any more :headshake:).

I was circling the parking lot looking for a spot, and I really, really had to pee. No spots, so I circled again, still no spots, and I really, really, REALLY had to pee.

Decided I'd have to drive across the street and park in overflow parking, and by the time I got parked, I realized, no way I was making it back across the street and up to the room in time.

Using that logic that only drunk people have, I decided it was best to kneel in front of my truck (which was facing away from the street) and pee right there, using my truck as a shield from road traffic.

Got down on my knees, undid the trousers, and I had to go so badly, I was almost going before I was completely...unleashed, but I did just manage to, heaved a sigh of relief at my good fortune of not peeing my pants...

...and when the warm sensation hit my knees, realized I was peeing uphill and it was all running right back down and soaking my legs anyway. 😳

I did say "Trilogy," - I've got two more like that.

Me: about 40 years ago, (23yo) worked for a 3 man company, the boss got a big order one day and decided to shout us drinks after work. I can handle my drink really well. The drink in question was apple cider, a new drink to me. 5 hrs later I woke up in the grandstands half way up of the local racecourse. I somehow staggered the 3 km walk to get home, I never went to work for 2 days. Never touched it again. I think the Brits call it snake bite.?

Wife: she ran a record store about 30 years ago, she got to go to a private function with other shop owners to meet jimmy Barnes. She got carried away with sambuca , she arrived home in her car, I heard it come up,the driveway, saw lights on , but no movement. I went outside wipers were still going, she was slumped over the wheel. It's a wonder she never hit another vehicle. I half carried her to bed, undressed her and put her to bed, 30 mins later I heard the wrenching of a woman possessed. Black vomit all up the wall of the bathroom and floor. She hardly drinks now.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom